Guests' Meeting Information
We meet on the last Monday of most months at:
- The meetings begin promptly at 7:00 p.m. and finish at 9:00ish. Most meetings are intended for parents, not children, other than nursing babies.
- You are invited to be our guest 'free' at two meetings before becoming a member. Please note that agreement with our statement of faith is required for membership.
- We are a homeschool parent support group, not a homeschool board. Please visit our links page if you are looking for a homeschool board.
- For general HSCF inquiries, please call Marianne at 780-452-4211, or email HSCF.
Monday, October 27th, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Margaret Helder received a BA (Honours) in Biology and History from Bishop's University (Quebec), and then a PhD in Botany from the University of Western Ontario. She held an assistant professorship in the Department of Biosciences at Brock University (Ontario) before moving to Alberta in the late 1970s. Since 1979, she has been very active in the Creation Science Association of Alberta (CSAA), and is a frequent contributor to CSAA's Dialogue magazine. Margaret has given lectures, both at the public school level and university level, on creation science across western Canada, in Australia, and in parts of the USA. Dr. Helder taught HSCF science classes for many years and established our science fair!
Christians have particularly compelling reasons to study science:
- We’ll consider some of these reasons, with youth-friendly examples, including looking at dinosaur skeleton videos/photos.
- We’ll consider why most scientists and society at large do not study nature from a God-honouring point of view. There is a reason!
- We’ll touch on how to teach science in a God-honouring way.
- Tonight's discussion is targeted to homeschool parents and teens, although very interested preteens are welcome. The evening is not intended for younger children.
- Snacks & fellowship time included.
- Library will be open for members.
Come to be blessed, and to be a blessing to others!
Previous Meetings ~ see what sorts of meetings we've had in past months.
Whether you're more new or more of a long-time homeschool family, we hope HSCF becomes a valuable part of your homeschooling routine this year!