Getting Started

Welcome to the adventure of homeschooling!!

Whether you're investigating the idea of homeschooling, or anticipating your first steps into homeschooling, please consider the following to help you in your decision and/or on your journey!

1. Pray for wisdom in all your homeschool decisions right from the start.  It is a very serious commitment and should not be taken lightly.

2. Check out our links on the public page for more information on requirements, curriculum, legalities, support, and much, much more.

3. Visit Mississippi Home Educators Association website and order the Homeschool Packet ($25), filled with lots of resources and information on homeschooling.  

4. Visit the Homeschool Legal Defense Association website,, and explore the site.  Check out their NEW HOMESCHOOLER pages. 

5. Check out the calendar for upcoming events and come meet us!


Some frequently asked questions:


Q: Can anyone home school in Mississippi?
A: Yes. any parent is permitted by law to teach his or her own children in a home instruction program. The state has a minimal amount of regulation that families must follow to legally home school. A legitimate home instruction program is defined as one that is not "operated for the purpose of avoiding or circumventing the compulsory attendance law."
Q: What kind of paperwork does the state require?
A: By September 15 of each year, parents are required to submit a certificate of enrollment for each child age 6-17 by September 1. (If you have children older or younger, you are not required to submit a certificate for them.) the certificate card available from your city or county attendance officer should include the names and address of the parents, the child's name and date of birth, and "a simple description of the type of education the children are receiving."You are not required by law to give your child's Social Security number. The card must be returned to the school attendance officer.

In the  the event the child has been enrolled in a public or private school, a certificate of enrollment must be filed with the local attendance officer within 15 calendar days after the first day of the school year for the school district where the child resides. The parents may at a later enroll the child in a legitimate home instruction program and send the certificate of enrollment to the school attendance officer.

Parents, guardians,or custodians of a child who are found in violation of this law are given 10 days after receiving a written notice to comply with the law.  
Q: Do I have to wait until the beginning of the next school year to take my children out of their current public or private school to start home schooling?
A: If you wish to teach your children at home, you may begin at any time, but you must always send the completed certificate of enrollment for each child.
Q: Does the curriculum I use have to include state-approved textbooks?
A: No. You may choose the curriculum that best suits your children's individual education needs.
Q: What subjects am I required to teach?
A: Since the repeal of the law in 1984, there are no state requirements for subjects that must be taught.