Intro to Homeschooling
Welcome to the adventure of home education!
1. Read Home Education in Indiana and The Big Book of Home Learning. Both can be found at the Tippecanoe County Public Library. Reading other books on home education would also be beneficial as you learn about this educational option.
2. Visit the Home School Legal Defense (HSLDA) webpage and read their information for new home educators. Across the top, there's a link "About Homeschooling." Click on that to access info for new homeschoolers.
3. Join Indiana Association of Home Educators (IAHE). It's free! You will get their bimonthly magazine and you'll be notified about the state annual home educators' convention. You can also contact IAHE by phone at 317-476-6244.
4. Think about joining a small support group. For more information on small groups, please go to Small Groups.
5. Keep informed about homeschool happenings and get connected to other home educators by joining Greater Lafayette Home Educators' Association (GLHEA). To find out more about our organization, please go to GLHEA - About us.
6. Pray for wisdom in making this decision and in all your home educating decisions. Homeschooling is a serious committment and should not be taken lightly. It is right for some families and not for others.
7. Consider chatting with a veteran homeschool mom. Please go to Mentor Directory for a listing of women who are willing to chat with you about the nuts and bolts of home education.
8. Have some of your questions answered by going to Frequent Questions.