Arundel Homeschoolers Support Group is Anne Arundel County's oldest Christian homeschool support group, serving and connecting homeschoolers since 1987 with support, encouragement, activities, and events. We are a nonprofit 501C(3) multi-denominational group committed to the support and enrichment of homeschooling families from many counties including Anne Arundel, Howard, Prince George's and Baltimore. We are not a co-op, tutorial, or an umbrella.
A special note to families who are homeschooling because of COVID-19:
The purpose of our group is to support homeschool families who choose to homeschool regardless of the pandemic. We acknowledge that homeschool is a lifestyle comprised of choices, needs, and preferences made by each homeschool family. We seek to enhance the homeschool journey for those families. We recognize the difficulties the pandemic has placed on public school families. We welcome the opportunity to help families who are temporarily homeschooling, but we ask everyone to understand that we do not have all the answers or ideas that may help public school families in meeting public school requirements or expectations in this difficult time. By joining, you are aware that Arundel Homeschoolers Support Group is not responsible for an individual family's homeschool curriculum, resource, or activity choices. Please maintain communication with your county's homeschool office and/or your umbrella, co-op, or tutorial for specific information related to your homeschool journey.
Membership provides homeschool families the following:
- Open invitation to all Arundel Homeschoolers Support Group events and exclusive members-only events, meetings, and workshops.
- Access to our database-driven, password-restricted Online Member Directory (for networking with other members)
Affiliate membership in MACHE - includes HSLDA discount and MACHE membership cardThis benefit may return in the future. Please email our President with questions.
- Inclusion on AHSG announcements email list
- Access to AHSG Members-only Areas including Discussion Boards for networking with other members, Facebook Members Group, and Photo galleries of events
- Please note Membership fees are nonrefundable.
Our events take place in and around Anne Arundel County, Howard County, Prince George's County, and surrounding areas. We usually meet at public libraries or donated church spaces for some events or meetings. This organization relies on volunteers, and we ask each member family to sign up for a volunteer duty each year. Our members create monthly activities and events for all ages for other member families and homeschoolers in general if the guidelines and capacity allow.
In the past, we have offered the following:
- annual Membership meeting that includes guest speakers on specific homeschool topics,
- workshops and forums on specific topics relevant to families and homeschooling,
- senior graduation and prom,
- a First Lego League Robotics Team,
- an End of the Year Picnic with a free curriculum swap table,
- Valentine’s Day activities for elementary ages,
- Mother’s Day events,
- Christmas celebrations,
- community service opportunities at various nonprofit organizations such as food drives for the ASPCA or making sandwiches for the Light House,
- Anime Club,
- playdates for younger children, and
- Tween and Teen activities for older students.
We take field trips to places such as
- Baltimore National Zoo,
- Chevy’s Fresh Mex Tour,
- Toby’s Youth Theater,
- Maryland Science Center, and
- National Museum of African American History and Culture.
We also give member families early enrollment options for classes such as Skateboarding, events such as the Annual Science Fair, and workshops on topics such as Homeschool Through High School.
Each month, we usually have a support meeting for all families with homeschool questions as well as Lego Labs at a local library for children to build while parents talk. These gatherings depend on health guidelines and regulations for Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
If you are a family new to homeschooling, as a member you can can request to be matched with an experienced homeschool family to help you navigate your homeschool experience for the first year. Families requesting a mentor should have homeschooled less than three years. Even if you do not need a mentor, encouragement and support will always be at your fingertips, just ask! Please sign into the website and click Request a Mentor or Be a Mentor if you would like to have a mentor or be a mentor to another family.
Questions about membership can be emailed to our Secretary. Our membership year opens August 1, 2023 and is valid until July 31, 2024. Membership fees are nonrefundable.
This information was updated September 13, 2021.