Homeschooling Through Highschool and Beyond Symposium and College Fair
Come be encouraged and equipped to homeschool your high school student by veteran homeschool families who have successfully graduated their students. Current and potential high school families and students are welcome!
Date and Location
February 11th, 1 to 5 PM
Moore Public Library
225 South Howard
Moore, OK 73160
Topics to be covered in Symposium Sessions - Meeting Room A
- 1:00 - 1:40: You can Homeschool - How to get started
- Robin and Julie Zwirtz
- In this session we hope to offer encouragement and practical advice for those who are new to homeschooling or just starting out!
- Robin and Julie Zwirtz of Oklahoma City have been married for over 30 years and have eight children - six boys, and two girls, ranging in age from 11 to 27 years old. They have been homeschooling for over 20 years and have graduated 4. The Zwirtzes are a 3rd generation entrepreneurial family. Robin owns BirdDog Software, a software development company, located in Oklahoma City where two of their children also work. Another of their children works for the family property company, Zee Properties. Robin and Julie have served for over 10 years as leaders of LIGHT, a south-Oklahoma City / Moore homeschool support group. Robin is an Elder at Berean Family Fellowship, a family-integrated church in south OKC. Affectionately dubbed The Flying Zwirtzes by a family member, they enjoy the general circus-like atmosphere of their busy household. Between the marathon gaming sessions, jewelry making, philosophical discussions, lego masterpieces, and the continuous flow of artwork, there is truly never a dull moment "under the big top."
- 1:50 - 2:30: Graduation Success for Homeschoolers
- Rebecca Liao
- The high school years don't need to be intimidating or overwhelming. Come learn how to creatively approach an education plan that fits your unique teen and their goals. Many homeschooling parents have successfully navigated these waters, and you can too!
- Rebecca, along with her husband Vince, has homeschooled their 4 children, now ages 17-26, for over 20 years. She has been a leader of a homeschool support group and co-op, a speaker at local and state homeschool functions, and works full time as the Chief Customer Officer at Teaching Textbooks, a math curriculum company. She finds joy in scrumptious food, nature, and sharing the struggles and triumphs of her own journey with others.
- 2:40 - 3:20: When Homeschool Leaves Home moving forward with outside resources
- Wendy Miller
- How to supplement what you can offer your students with community programs that broaden the scope of your home school. Learn about concurrent enrollment (receiving both high school and college credit at the same time), votec opportunities, and how to help your student access these wonderful resources.
- I have been homeschooling my four children for 10 years. I have one in college, a senior in vo-tech, a junior doing concurent enrollement, and an 8th grader. We are eclectic homeschoolers who want to cover all the basics, but also have time to delve deep into the wonder around us. I am grateful for the education that homeschooling has given me. I am amazed by my children's uniqueness and how life offers learning and growing opportunities tailor made for each child. So much of my success is because of mentors, and wise guidence that I have recieved from others, so I hope that I can offer a bit of encouragement to you, on your journey.
- 3:30 - 4:10: Straight Talk and Honest answers From Homeschool Parents and Students
- Emily Swafford and students
- Q&A with time students and families
- Emily & Kyle Swafford have 3 children ages 10, 15, 19, and have been homeschooling for over 16 years. Their children have been blessed with a grandmother who has been a large part of their homeschooling journey the entire time! Emily loves helping her children explore their passions, and their family has enjoyed being an active member of the LIGHT Coop for 15 years. She has adapted her work schedule as a physical therapist around homeschooling, is a true “nerd” at heart, and loves engaging in meaningful conversations with others.
College and Vendor Fair - Meeting Room B
- Participating Colleges and Technical Schools
- Randall University
- Southern Nazarene University
- Southwestern Christian University
- Moore Norman Technology Center
- Oklahoma Baptist University
- Mid America University
- Oklahoma Christian University
- Extracurricular Vendors
- Artworks Academy
- Teaching Textbooks
- American Heritage Girls
- FIRST Robotic
- Academic Advantages
- Eagle Wings Ranch
- Information on Concurrent enrollment
We look forward to encouraging you on your homeschool journey!