Date – Time
Sunday 15 September 2019
– 2:00 PM - 3:25 PM
Old Log Theatre
5185 Meadville St
Five Presidents brings us back 25 years into the Executive Board Room at the Nixon Library on April 27, 1994. It is the day of Richard Nixon's funeral and a historic occasion that brought the five living presidents, four exes and one current, together to mourn, honor and discuss one of our history’s most controversial political figures. This is a fictional take of what might Gerald Ford (James Ramlet), Jimmy Carter (Patrick O'Brien), Ronald Reagan (Steve Sheridan), George H.W. Bush (Casey E. Lewis), and Bill Clinton (William Gilness) have discussed while gathered prior to the service. Maybe some soul searching among great men so rarely together or, would these leaders of the free world prefer banter, small talk, jokes or petty bickering?
Author Rick Cleveland, an Emmy winning writer/producer whose credits include The West Wing, House of Cards, Mad Men, and Man in the High Castle, demonstrates that he can make government leaders engaging on stage as well.
“This is a very, very funny play. The laughs come easily, and they are prolonged. The humor is directed from one ex to another ex.” – OnMilwaukee.com
“…Compelling reminder that presidents- like the rest of us- are always more complicated and conflicted than we imagine… a steady stream of comic one-liners… [the] audience loved it.” -Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Director Martin L’Herault says “I love this play. I find it increasingly relevant to the current situation we find ourselves in. I hope it provides you with an opportunity to escape, however briefly, from the unrelenting din of mean-spirited, divisive, political discourse coming at us from all sides on a daily basis. It wasn't always this way. Maybe these five presidents can show us a path forward to a time when our elected leaders are once again able to govern through mutual respect and compromise for the greater good of all.”
Parental Advisory: These presidents cuss, especially George H. W. Bush.
For more information, visit oldlog.com/Shows/Five-Presidents.
Minutes away from the Twin Cities metro area and set on 12 acres near the shores of historic Lake Minnetonka, the Old Log Theatre is the oldest professional theater in Minnesota, entertaining over six million patrons since opening its doors in 1940.
This performance is best for older teens as it contains mature themes. Parents are asked to use their best judgment as to whether or not this performance is suitable for their own children. Everyone in attendance must have a ticket regardless of age. Adult supervision is not provided. Parents who choose to drop off their teens do so with the understanding that no one else is taking responsibility for their children (including the volunteer event organizer, Planet Homeschool, and Old Log Theatre).
- Please plan to arrive 30 minutes early in order to have plenty of time to find parking, check in with the organizer to receive your family’s tickets, visit the restrooms, and otherwise be ready to be seated at least 15 minutes before the performance begins.
- Please plan to be early to avoid being late due to inadequate maps, confusing road signs, road construction, heavy traffic, parking difficulties, inclement weather, or uncooperative children.
- If you are running late, please let the organizer know! You may reach the organizer by phone or email on the day of the event. Late arrivals are will be seated at the desecration of the House Manager.
- The Old Log Theatre has a policy against canceling or delaying performances due to adverse weather, so please plan accordingly and allow extra travel time if necessary.
- This performance is subject to change and cancelation by the Old Log Theatre. In the unlikely event that should occur, you will be notified of any performance changes. Any refunds will be at the sole discretion of the Old Log Theatre.
Your theatre ticket purchase does not include a lunch reservation. If you wish to have lunch beforehand, plan to arrive no later than 12:30pm and be sure to make a reservation. The 250-seat contemporary American Cast & Cru restaurant overlooks the chef's gardens and the pond on Old Log’s 11½ acre property.
This event is open to all homeschoolers, not just members of Planet Homeschool.
Signup is currently closed.
The Signup Deadline for this event was 8/29/2019 – 10:00 AM CST