Hedfex is not a school. If your children are subject to Minnesota's compulsory attendance law (based on age or any other criteria) you are wholly responsible for ensuring compliance with said law at all times. We rely on the honor system to enforce this; however, if Hedfex's status as a non-school is ever questioned, and it comes to our attention that a family is not in compliance with the law, that family will be suspended from participation in Hedfex, until compliance is restored. No refunds will be issued for any classes, events, or other activities missed during the suspension.
I understand and agree that I am participating in the Home Educators for Excellence co-op voluntarily and at my own risk. I will not hold the co-op, church, or any of their officers, directors, employees, contractors or assigns liable for any negligence or alleged negligence or other fault that results in personal injury, death, or property damage during or in connection with the above program. The undersigned, for myself and for my children, heirs, executors, administrators, and assignees, hereby agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, release and forever discharge the co-op and the church (or any other meeting place) and its directors, officers, contractors, and employees from all such claims.
I hereby release all members of Home Educators for Excellence of any and all liability resulting from medical treatment. I understand if medical attention is necessary and I am not present, Home Educators for Excellence has my permission to call an ambulance to transport any family member listed below to the nearest medical facility for emergency medical treatment. I am responsible for all expenses incurred.
Further, I understand that this waiver applies to any and all family members potentially present at Home Educators for Excellence activities.
Age Range Policy
For the youngest age range, children must be 3 at the start of fall term. For the other age ranges, a child may take classes if they are, or will turn, the minimum age during fall term. If you want an exception to this policy, see the FAQs for the procedure.
Payment and Refund Schedule Policy
Membership Fee or J Term Registration Fee
- Due upon registration and non-refundable.
- Membership Fee:
- Fall 2020 - $10
- Normal Years:
- $50 - Early Registration Discount, if joining within one week of the spring open house
- $70 - Full year, for the whole family
- $35 - If joining after fall semester
- OR: J Term Non-Member Registration Fee
- $10 - To cover Hedfex costs
- email: [email protected] to pay via Paypal
- Write a separate check for each term, dated as of the registration deadline for that term.
- Checks for class fees will be deposited on or shortly after the registration deadline for that term, unless otherwise specified in the class description,
- Class fees are fully refundable if the registrar is contacted prior to the registration deadline or if the class is cancelled due to low enrollment.
- Paypal is accepted for payment of the Membership Fee or J-Term Non-Member Registration Fee, since those can be time sensitive payments, but check or cash is always preferred.
- To keep prices as low as possible for everyone, we can no longer accept Paypal for class fees. We hope to be able to change this in the future, when we receive 501c3 status. In the mean time, if it will be difficult for you to pay all class fees by the payment deadline, please contact the registrar ([email protected]) ahead of time to discuss options.
- The registrar applies available scrip balances 1-2 weeks prior to each payment deadline. You can check your Statement of Account to see your reduced balance.
- A family taking more than 5 classes (not including J Term) will be eligible for a $10 per class credit for the 6th and additional classes.
- This credit is available at the end of the school year and may be used toward membership and class fees for the following year or requested as a check.
- If you have a credit remaining on your account when you leave HEdFEx, you must request a check in writing or by email within two weeks after your last active semester.
- After that point, rebates will be moved to the Hedfex general fund for the benefit of all members.
A $3 per business day fee will apply to all payments postmarked after the due dates. Failure to pay promptly and respond to reasonable attempts to contact you may result in your registration being cancelled. Checks declined due to insufficient funds will result in a $40 charge to that member.
Class Cancellation Policy
The leadership team will announce class cancellations (due to inclement weather, teacher illness, etc.) via the Member Announcement thread on the Forum. Please make sure you have the email option for this thread set to "receive notifications IMMEDIATELY". Refunds are not available. Efforts will be made to accommodate a make-up day if more than one day is missed in a semester, but due to instructor and building availability, they are not guaranteed.
Everyone has to pitch in for the co-op to run smoothly, so each family is expected to fill one job each term. You may be asked to be room parent for a class, hall monitor, or help with setup or cleanup. Volunteering for the leadership team (co-leaders, registrar, secretary, scrip coordinator) means you’re not required to do other jobs! We try to accommodate job preferences, including matching drop-off parents with off-site jobs, but are not always able to.
If you are not able to attend one week, post on our email list to find a replacement.
Behavior Expectations for Guardians and Children Policy
Be respectful of others, their property, their time, and our host facility. This is most of what we expect from everyone at co-op, but to be a bit more specific:
- Arrive on time.
- Remain in the areas of the building designated for our use.
- Remain on the premises unless your child is 12 or over, and you have signed the Drop-Off Agreement.
- Pay for any damage caused to the facility or other property by your children or yourself.
- Recognize that we are a diverse group, and be sensitive and supportive of each other. Avoid hurtful, objectionable or controversial subjects.
HEdFEx uses a four-step procedure to resolve persistent problems with student behavior:
- If student behavior is a persistent disruption in the classroom or social area, the parent will be notified.
- If disruptive behavior persists, parents, student, co-op leadership, and tutors (if relevant) will meet together to brainstorm ways to support the parent and student in succeeding during co-op.
- If disruptive behavior further persists, a parent will be required to accompany the student at all times, including during class, if relevant. (finding alternative care for younger siblings is the responsibility of the parent)
- If having the parent present still does not stop the disruptive behavior, the student will be suspended for the remainder of the term. Suspension is used only as a last resort, when the disruption is significant, or a threat to the safety of others or their property.
No one expects children to behave perfectly at all times, but good communication will help prevent minor behavior issues from escalating into larger issues.
Drop Off Policy
Sick Child Policy
Use common sense in deciding if your child should stay home from co-op, but here are a few guidelines:
- Keep your child home if the child has had a fever, diarrhea, or vomiting in the last 24 hours.
- Keep your child home if he is showing signs of pink eye, unless he has been on antibiotics for at least 24 hours.
- Keep your child home if she has a persistent phlegmy cough or sore throat and seems cranky or lethargic.
Tax Deductions Policy
Fees paid to Hedfex and instructors may, or may not, be tax deductible depending on your financial situation and the instructor’s qualifications. You must make your own determination on this subject.
Sharing Pictures & Video Policy
By participating in Hedfex, you are giving permission for pictures/video/other media of your/your children to be posted on the private section of the Hedfex website, which is accessible only when logged in. To respect the privacy of others, do not share pictures/video/other media, anywhere else, unless you have permission from every adult, and a parent/guardian of every child, who is included in the media.
Birthday Treats Policy
Due to various dietary restrictions, and the desire to avoid sugar overload, please do not bring food to share for your child's birthday. You are welcome to bring non-food treats such as stickers or pencils to share, or to have your child wear a sticker or something to let everyone know he/she is having a birthday, so we can all give Happy Birthday greetings.
Account Credits upon Leaving HEdFEx Policy
If the combined balance between the family's account and scrip is under $130, and a family is not an active member at the end of the calendar year, the balance is moved to the general fund. If it is $130 or over, the registrar will email the family and ask if they want the balance cashed out or donated.