Building Fund Donations
Join us in securing a permanent location for our growing Homeschool Community & Co-Op!
Who ARE We?
Homeschooler Link is a non-profit organization supporting a rapidly growing community of diverse homeschooling families of various social, economic, political, religious, racial and ethnic backgrounds residing within the Greater St Charles County, Missouri area.
Of course, families choose to homeschool for many different reasons- such as needing to better fit their child(ren)’s academic abilities (either slowing down, or advancing past typical age-based grade levels), their learning styles, their medical needs, family schedules, wanting more family time, more moral instruction or less social pressure, more freedom to explore and play, etc. No matter the motivation for homeschooling, any and all homeschooling families are welcome to join the Homeschooler Link community.
Currently, over 175 homeschooling families throughout the greater St Charles County, Missouri area are official Homeschooler Link members; collectively, those 175+ families have 400+ children participating in various Homeschooler Link sponsored activities throughout each year.
There are also over 260 adult individuals participating with Homeschooler Link through online discussions on the Homeschooler Link Facebook group.
What do we DO?
Homeschooler Link began in the summer of 2013, as a website and Facebook group, with just a small handful of homeschooling families connecting in order to participate in supplemental activities together.
Not quite 4 years later, Homeschooler Link is now a registered 501(c)3 Non-profit organization built for the purpose of enriching and supporting a growing local community of over 140 member homeschooling families.
Each year, Homeschooler Link hosts and sponsors:
- Weekly academic co-op that offers close to 60 classes each semester for grades pre-k through 12th
- "Enrichment Thursday" Co-Op classes include core-academic subjects, as well as elective subjects, such as art, drama, choir, fencing, languages, cooking, PE, etc.
- "Enrichment Thursday" Co-Op classes are taught by homeschooling parent volunteers with skills, knowledge, or interests in a given subject area
- Academic exhibitions like science fairs, choral concerts, and plays
- Numerous homeschool field trips to local and regional educational venues of all kinds
- Youth Dances and supervised ‘hang out’ activities
- Holiday parties and special events
- Events open to the homeschool community at large, regardless of membership in the Homeschooler Link community, such as Youth Formals, Geo Bee Competition, and Homeschool Graduation
- Play dates, park days, ‘Moms’ Night Out’s
- Discussion groups, community-building moral support
Most importantly, choosing to homeschool can be an intimidating choice for families. It often comes with varying levels of social disapproval and discouragement from friends, family, and educational institutions. Homeschooler Link provides a deep and longed-for sense of community and belonging for homeschooling families! Whether it is online, or through in-person activities, Homeschooler Link is a positive, supportive, and enriching environment for both adults and children. Academics are enhanced, confidence is bolstered, and friendships are formed.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!!
For the past 3+ years, Homeschooler Link has been very fortunate in having the ability to meet at a local church in St. Peters, Missouri for Enrichment Thursday Co-Op classes and for special events. However, with our growing numbers, and the expanding services of the church itself, there will no longer be room for Homeschooler Link to continue to use the current facility for our Co-Op.
Growth is a wonderful problem to have, but it does mean that we MUST rent or purchase a new facility in which we can continue to host and sponsor current activities, most importantly our Enrichment Thursday Co-Op classes. A permanent location would be preferred so that we can set roots and provide a stable offering of services without worry of needing to renegotiate contracts or be relocated. We currently have 200+ students enrolled in classes each semester in our current location, which has 14 classrooms available (including a study area, gym, kitchen, and tot-room). Classes are available based on a first-come, first-served registration basis and often fill to capacity, leaving some families without the opportunity to participate in Co-Op classes when they would prefer to be able to do so. This can be very discouraging for families who need that sense of support.
Our new facility will need to be able to accommodate the needs of a growing student base, meeting all facility requirements for safety and educational recommendations for square footage.
Our immediate pressing need is to secure a facility- whether it be an existing school, or converting a property to suit our needs- by the end of 2017 so that we can begin to hold classes and activities in our new permanent location by the Fall of 2018, if not much sooner.
Our hope is that having a permanent location will eventually allow us to provide more for the homeschooling community, such things as:
- additional class days and subject offerings,
- a venue for homeschool sports and artistic pursuits,
- a science lab,
- dedicated developmentally appropriate Tot Room,
- a study hall,
- resource library,
- teen hang-out,
- administrative offices.
However, Homeschooler Link is not currently a revenue-generating non-profit, therefore we are COMPLETELY DEPENDENT on charitable donations in order to attain the funds necessary to acquire a new facility.
With current St Charles County commercial property rates ranging from $85-$120/ sqft, we hope to be able to raise sufficient funds to acquire a facility, renovating it to suit the needs of our growing homeschool community. We realize that this is a lofty goal, and so we are seeking help from many funding sources, including grants, corporate sponsorships, fundraising events, and individual donations.
If we are unable to reach the goal of $500,000 by the end of 2017, we will use the funds raised towards the rental of a location beginning in 2018. If we are unable to raise the funds necessary to cover the entire cost of renting a new location, we will use the raised funds to cover as much of the lease as possible.
We have confidence that we can reach our goal and that the benefits that a permanent facility will provide to the homeschool community and the St Charles County community at large will make the work and sacrifices worth it!
Why SHOULD You Help?
There are many reasons why choosing to help support our cause via a generous donation will be a great benefit to you. Some of those reasons include:
- Personal or Corporate Charitable Donation Tax Deductions—aside from the positive feelings you receive from being charitable, you also receive financial benefits by being able to claim those donations at tax time.
- Saving Tax-payer money—Homeschoolers actually save taxpayers an average of $11,732 per student*, plus the capital expenditures for a public school. Homeschooling families pay taxes to support public schools, but choose not to use those funds for their own children— allowing tax revenues to go further. By supporting Homeschooler Link, you help save tax dollars.
- Enriching your community—Any healthy community is based on diversity and opportunity. By supporting Homeschooler Link, you will be promoting diversity in education and opportunity for academic growth and extracurricular growth for hundreds of local youth.
- Supporting freedom—Homeschooling is an educational method currently available to Missouri families, but it has not always been so and it may not always be so in the future. By supporting Homeschooler Link, you voice your support of individuals and families having the freedom to decide how their children should be educated.
- Enhancing Individuals’ academics— Many children are not best-served in a traditional educational setting. Some have medical issues that prevent them from spending the required hours within a public school setting, others have academic or social issues that are not a good fit for traditional compulsory education. However, when given personalized one-on-one education at home, many of these children thrive academically. By supporting Homeschooler Link, you are supporting those children and families who need an alternative to traditional educational institutions.
- Investing in the future— In recent research studies, it has been found that homeschooled students are more academically prepared and self-driven than their public schooled peers.* Many colleges are actively recruiting homeschooled students for the intrinsic benefits and training homeschooling has provided graduates of homeschool programs.* Homeschooling students are often given ample latitude to study subjects in depth, pursue their own interests (developing a love of learning), and be self-motivated in their academic accomplishments. By supporting Homeschooler Link, you support the education and character training of the future leaders of local, national, and global communities.
- Showing brotherly kindness— If for no other reason, it is always a good thing to help those in need. Homeschooler Link is an organization built around a worthy and admirable cause—to support the homeschooling community—and Homeschooler Link is truly in need of your charitable donations in order to continue its mission.
- Receive our deep appreciation— We truly do appreciate every contribution, no matter the size! Every little bit helps and we will use it wisely towards a new facility!
Thank you for your generous support!!
We can't do it without you!!