New to Homeschooling
Thinking of homeschooling? We're here to help in all these areas. Contact us!
- Spend time in prayer. Pray for wisdom about the choice to homeschool.
- Pray for your children and spouse.
- Pray for unity in your family.
- Pray for this to be a time of family togetherness
- Find out the requirements for homeschooling. HSLDA has all the California law information here.
- Research support groups, Private School Providers (PSPs), activity groups, etc. open to homeschoolers. Check our Links page for a listing of local PSPs.
- Think about the different ways to homeschool legally. Research requirements for filing the CA affidavit individually or under a PSP.
- Identify the different styles of homeschooling. Look into the different learning styles.
- Study your children. What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses? How do they feel about school, in general? What are their thoughts towards homeschool?
- Research different curriculums. Look into requirements for record keeping.
- Talk with other homeschool families and glean from their stories.
- Join HSLDA and/or CHEA (California Home Educators Association)
- Join a support group.
- If you choose to file your own affidavit, file by October 15th.
- Choose your homeschooling style.
- Select and purchase curriculum.
- Create a family schedule.
- Set goals. Plan your quarters, semesters, or year, depending on your record-keeping plan.
- Join in the activities and groups.
- Make yourself available and friendly.
- Go meet people. Don't wait for them to come to you.
- Have fun!