Frequently Asked Questions
What does IRHSA do?
The Indian River Homeschoolers Association, Inc. is a faith-based organization that provides support to homeschoolers in Indian River County and the surrounding area.
Our purpose and mission are the following:
- To provide moral support and encouragement to parents who desire to home educate their children.
- To share information and exchange ideas in every way possible with parents who choose to home educate.
- To stay informed of and encourage participation in issues affecting the rights of home educators.
- To provide social and educational opportunities in the form of various gatherings, events, classes, and co-ops.
How much does the IRHSA membership cost?
The IRHSA membership begins on August 1, 2018 for the 2018-19 school year. The membership price is $40. If you sign up anytime during the month of August, you will receive a discount of $5 (for a total price of $35). Membership in IRHSA is closed on May 31, 2019. The 2018-19 membership ends on July 31, 2019. Please renew and pay for your membership after August 1 for the next school year.
What does my membership include?
Your membership includes many benefits including but not limited to:
Access to IRHSA sponsored events: These events include co-ops, play groups, field trips, Field Day, IOWA testing, Father/Daughter Banquet, Mother/Son Banquet, Kindergarten Graduation and Senior Graduation and much more!
Communication and support: When you become a member of IRHSA you automatically gain access to the IRHSA email forum. Through the email forum you have access to a wealth of support, encouragement, resources and knowledge from other homeschooling families. The email forums and IRHSA Facebook Groups are wonderful ways to connect with other homeschooling families.
Membership Discount program: Your IRHSA membership entitles you to in-store and website discounts within our community. View the listing of stores and websites that offer membership discounts. Your membership also entitles you to $10 off an FPEA membership and $20 off HSLDA membership.
How do I receive my FPEA and HSLDA discount?
All IRHSA members receive a $10 discount on membership in Florida Parent Educators Association (FPEA) and are also eligible to receive a $20 discount to HSLDA. After you become an IRHSA member, you can locate the discount codes under the Benefits tab on our private webpage.
FPEA provides additional benefits such as discounts to their annual FPEA convention, membership to Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), stores such as Staples, Office Depot, Books-A-Million and more. To join FPEA click here.
We recommend that homeschooling families join HSLDA. Even if you never experience legal trouble yourself, your HSLDA membership will help other homeschooling families to get the legal help they need and will help defend our right to homeschool here in Indian River County. Membership in HSLDA also give you personal access to the legal staff, educational consultants, selling privileges at the Curriculum Market, hundreds of resources on their website, and other discounts. For more information about HSLDA's many benefits, visit www.hslda.org.
IRHSA is a faith-based organization. What does that mean to me?
We are a 501c4 non-profit organization. We welcome expressions of Christian faith during our meetings and events. Individuals are not required to be Christians or sign a statement of faith to be members of IRHSA. We welcome those of all faiths.
Our purpose and our mission are to provide support and encouragement to all homeschooling families within our local community.
How does our family become members?
Any homeschooling family is welcome to join IRHSA. IRHSA is accepting new members and membership renewals for 2018-2019 until May 31st. . To join, click the “Join Now” button on the top right of our homepage or register here.
What is the email forum? How do I join and unsubscribe to the email forum?
Once you become a member, your name is automatically added to our IRHSA member email forum. After you receive your first welcome email, you will be able to log in to the IRHSA private website and send emails on the forum.
The email forum is designed to support, encourage and inform IRHSA members of pertinent information relating to homeschoolers.
Here are some general topics and subjects you might receive from the group:
- Information about field trips, events, co-ops;
- Information about classes, teachers, tutors, evaluators;
- Curriculums, books, etc. for sale;
- Any questions that you may want advice about;
- Any other information that is homeschool-related.
How do I update my profile information?
To update your account information, click the “Edit My Profile” icon on the top top right hand corner of the website.
I’m new to homeschooling, how can you help me?
Welcome to your exciting journey of homeschooling! Our mission and purpose are to support and encourage homeschooling families and to provide resources and educational opportunities for new and veteran homeschoolers.
- We provide the following opportunities to help support new homeschooling families:
- Download legal forms to stay compliant with the Florida Homeschooling Laws.
- Attend one of our IRHSA Newcome meetings. These meetings cover all the necessary legal requirements for homeschooling along with helpful tips on how to start homeschooling. Anyone interested in homeschooling is welcome to attend these informative meetings which address questions and concerns relating to homeschooling.
- Read our information booklets on homeschooling:
- Guide to Homeschooling: All you need to know to learn without boundaries.
- Starting Points: Six important things you need to know about homeschooling.
- 7 Secrets to finding the best homeschooling curriculum.
- Support and encourage yourself and your family by joining a co-op, play group, field trip, or one of our other many events. Log into your online IRHSA account to view a list of our community resources and events.
- Ask questions on the email forum or the Facebook group. Experienced homeschoolers will respond with useful advice.
Are there any membership responsibilities?
Members are not required to participate in any IRHSA events, but all events are member-led. First-time homeschoolers are encouraged to focus on their families for the first year. After you feel comfortable with your homeschooling routine, you are invited to organize activities. We believe that each family will be blessed by contributing to the homeschool community. If each member leads or co-leads one event per year, there will be plenty of events and leaders to organize them.
Can I start a new co-op or an activity?
Yes! We welcome and encourage our community members to start new co-ops or activities. All of our IRHSA coordinators are volunteers. If you are interested in starting a co-op or organizing an event, please contact the IRHSA President or one of the IRHSA Board Members.