Spring 2018 Track & Field: General Information & Schedule
- Sprints, mid- and long-distance running, relays, hurdles, horizontal jumps (long/triple), and throws (shot/discus).
- JV/Varsity running events span distances from 100m to 3200m (2 mile).
- Junior high races go up to the 1600m (1 mile).
All coaches meet MSHSL training requirements. See also information contained under the "About Us" tab in the menu bar.
- Kirk Swanson (MSHSL Certified Head Coach, NFHS Certified Interscholastic Coach)
- Jennifer Swanson (Assistant Coach & Athletic Director)
- John Kippley (Assistant Coach - Throws)
- Jammie Shafer (Assistant Coach - Sprints/Jumps; Junior High Lead)
- Gus Spencer (Junior High Assistant)
- Patrick Weber (Assistant Coach)
- Kurt Detloff (Assistant Coach)
Pre-season attendance is optional.
- February 26 - March 10, schedule TBD.
- Captains: Jake Bendickson, Peter Weber, Erika Swanson.
Official Season: March 12 - May 29, 2018 (or so)
Spring in Minnesota can mean unpredictable weather. Prepare to be flexible.
- Junior High season is slightly shorter (mid May).
- Varsity Section and State qualifiers go longer (June) depending on individual advancement (see Team Calendar).
- Mark your calendar with post-season meet dates to support your teammates who qualify!
Practice Attendance Requirements
Track and Field is a team sport, and the team performs its best when everyone is present. Practice affects team unity, morale, and success. You are expected to be at all practices and meets on time and for the duration unless prior arrangements have been made well in advance with the head coach. If you anticipate regular absences, contact the coaches before you register. (We are generally able to offer more flexibility for JH participants due to meet structure.) We only require practice attendance Monday through Thursday; but we expect JV/Varsity (high school) athletes to train 5x/week (Junior High 4x/week), which will require JV/Varsity athletes at least one day of running an assigned workout on your own (and logging your completed workout on eTRaXC) and/or attending optional practices when offered. See Team Handbook for details.
Note: On-the-track practices are pending contract approval with Rockford; we cannot get confirmation until February. Having said that, we have been using this facility for the past two years and do not expect a problem.
2018 Practice Schedule
- Mondays 6:00–8:00 P.M. @Rockford High School track
- Tuesdays 4:00–6:00 P.M. @Hanover City Hall/Settler’s Park (11250 5th St NE, Hanover)
- Wednesdays 4:00–5:30 P.M. @WEST building (Jesus People Church, 10925 Trail Haven Rd, Rogers)
Wednesday practices will be held at 4:15 (after classes) until 4/25 when we move to Hanover Settler’s Park.
- Thursdays 6:00–8:00 P.M. @Rockford High School track
- "Flexible Fridays" 4:00–5:30 P.M. *Not held every week--Check the Team Calendar.*
@Swansons, for those choosing Friday as their required Day 5 and looking for friends to train with them.
The events in which you compete at meets will depend on your attendance, performance, and completing and logging your assigned workouts. High school track meets can last until 8:30 P.M. (sometimes later); junior high meets are slightly shorter. See Team Calendar for schedule (subject to change).
No practices will be held on JV/Varsity meet days. JV/Varsity runners will have practice on JH meet days but will be excused from practice if assisting with a JH meet. However, they must complete and log the prescribed workout that day.
Don't miss it! Each athlete will be individually recognized and honored for their contribution to the team. Date TBD; will be held early June.
Watch the Team Calendar for updates!