Fall 2018 Cross Country: Registration
NOTE: Space is limited, but we do not have tryouts. We love new runners!
Current (2017-18) team families will be given priority online registration beginning May 30;
New team families will have the opportunity to register beginning June 4.
We will create waiting lists if needed.
Mandatory team registration & orientation meeting - Monday, June 11, 2018, 6:15 P.M.
@Hanover City Hall (11250 5th St NE, Hanover, MN 55341).
- This is required for all student-athletes and at least one parent per family.
- All online and paper forms and fees are due at this time. Late registrations/paperwork are not guaranteed participation.
- If you cannot attend the meeting, you must meet with the NHAC Athletic Director in person to sign the MSHSL group paperwork before the meeting.
- If you are reading this after the team meeting, contact us.
Read the General Information & Schedule page here first!
We are a team of homeschooled student-athletes. "Homeschooled students" in the State of Minnesota are those who submit an Initial Report or annual Letter of Intent to their school district (example here). (Students age 17+ enrolled in PSEO but not reporting to your district: contact us for instructions.) Students enrolled in online public schools (e.g., Harmony Education, MN Connections Academy, etc.) are ineligible.
Participants must reside within an 18-mile radius (or equivalent of 25 driving miles each way) of Hanover City Hall, 11250 5th St. NE, Hanover, MN, 55341. (Due to the MSHSL eligibility issues associated with changing programs during the high school years, the NHAC Board will "grandfather in" any affected families that were members of the JV/Varsity team (grades 9-12) during the 2017-18 school year.)
Please report your student's grade based on expected graduation year, regardless of schoolwork level in any subject, as there are participation limits. See Team Handbook or ask us for details.
Your registration payment holds your place on the team.
- Junior high (7th-8th grades): $150
- 9th graders: must contact us at least one week before the registration deadline to determine possible eligibility to register.
- High school (10th-12th grades; JV/Varsity): $200
See limited refund policy. (Families registering 3+ athletes: please see coaches in advance about possible sibling discount.) Activity fees are used to offset the costs of uniforms, race fees, league dues, insurance, equipment, supplies, maintenance, incentives and awards, coach training, and other team events. This is an entirely volunteer-run program.
P.S. We LOVE new athletes! No experience necessary; there's a place on this team for everyone--from beginners to state qualifiers and everything in between.
- Junior high: If space is available, JH may register up to the first day of practice with a late fee of $50 per family. Contact us.
- High school: Not guaranteed participation due to Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) policies. Contact us.
Due before participation is permitted.
- You must provide a copy of a current (within 3 years but may not expire during the season) Sports Qualifying Physical Exam Clearance Form in order to participate. Call early to make your appointments. If all else fails, try a Minute Clinic or similar.
- If your physical will expire during the sports season, you must submit an updated physical before the season starts.
- If you have participated in NHAC in the past and your physical is coming due, we will alert you when we pull together your registration papers.
- Sports physical forms are retained in NHAC files but not sent to the League.
You may register for the team before your physical is done, but you must have your appointment before you can attend practices.
Registration is a 3-step process.
All forms and fees are due by the June 11 team registration meeting.
- Complete your general registration forms--there are online (NHAC) and paper (MSHSL) forms.
- Await membership approval by email (this could take 1-2 days).
- Login, roster your athletes, and pay your fees (payment can be made by cash, check, or PayPal).
There are many forms and pages, so please read carefully!
This is not something you can easily skim and sign on registration day. There is a lot of reading to do, so plan to spend some time on these before the meeting. All this paperwork is the same as if you were to participate in sports at a non-district high school. All League membership forms & fees will be submitted by the team as a whole--do not send anything directly to the MSHSL.
Online Forms (Nighthawks) to complete before the Registration meeting:
- Legal & Medical
- Team Handbook (read)
Printed Forms (MSHSL) to bring to the Registration meeting:
Not all forms apply to everyone. For reference, details of which forms apply to your student(s) are found here, but we will walk you through that after you begin the online Registration process.
- Proof of Homeschooling (once per school year)
- Sports Physical (once per 3 calendar years--must submit a new one before the season starts if yours will expire during the season)
- MSHSL Activity Registration Form (once per season, high school only)
- MSHSL Eligibility Brochure (once per school year)
- MSHSL Home School Resolution for Membership (once per school year, high school only)
Additionally, parents of high school (JV/Varsity) participants must also read the following group documents and be prepared to sign at the team meeting as a group:
- Application for Cooperative Sponsorship (This link is a sample; there will be separate applications for boys and girls.)
- Cooperative Sponsorship Agreement (This link is a sample; there will be one agreement for the boys' team and one for the girls' team, to form athletic teams among homeschool high schools with students in grades 10-12. Note: MSHSL requires two-year agreements, which apply to all siblings in the family. This agreement is for cross country only. This does not mean your students have to participate on the cross country team next year, it just means that they cannot bounce from one cross country team to another each year. The same applies to public/private school students.)
High school (JV/Varsity) participants and parents are also responsible for the information contained in the following:
- MSHSL homeschool membership rights, fees, and MN State Statutes
- General MSHSL homeschool info
- Membership responsibilities (including deadlines and penalties). Athletic Director/Coach Jennifer Swanson will be your school's eligibility representative at the mandatory annual Area Meeting.
- MSHSL Handbook and website.
We (NHAC) and the MSHSL will do everything we can to alert you to deadlines, but ultimately you are responsible to keep your MSHSL membership and your student-athlete's eligibility in good standing.
As always, let us know if you have any questions. We're looking forward to having you on the team!
Required Online Registration opens Wednesday, May 30, to current team families (link sent via email). A link to will be posted here on Monday, June 4, for new families:
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN: