Spring 2019 T&F Information & Registration
- Sprints, mid- and long-distance running, relays, hurdles, horizontal jumps (long/triple), throws (shot; discus TBD)
- JV/Varsity running events span distances from 100m to 3200m (2 mile).
- Junior high races go up to the 1600m (1 mile). *JH program pending an Assistant Coach--click here for volunteering details!
All coaches meet MSHSL training requirements. See also information contained under the "About Us" tab in the menu bar.
- Kirk Swanson (MSHSL Certified Head Coach, NFHS Certified Interscholastic Coach)
- Jennifer Swanson (Athletic Director, Assistant Coach - Distance)
- John Kippley (Assistant Coach - Sprints)
- Deanna Petzold (Assistant Coach - Jumps)
- Mike Becker (Assistant Coach - Throws)
- Bob Hutchinson (Assistant Coach - Lead Junior High)
- Junior High program pending an Assistant JH Coach
Pre-season attendance is optional. Captains' practices do not count toward your attendance requirements.
- February 25 - March 9, 2019; schedule TBD.
- Captains: Erika Swanson, AJ Ulwelling
Official Season: March 11 - May 29, 2019 (or so)
Spring in Minnesota means unpredictable weather. Prepare to be flexible!
- Varsity Section and State qualifiers go longer (early June) depending on individual advancement (see Team Calendar).
Mark your calendar with post-season meet dates to support your teammates who qualify!
- Junior High season is slightly shorter (mid May).
Practice Attendance Requirements
You are expected to be at all practices and meets on time and for the duration unless prior arrangements have been made well in advance with the head coach. If you anticipate regular absences, contact the coaches before you register. Track and Field is a team sport, and the team performs its best when everyone is present. Practice affects team unity, morale, and success. Your teammates need you! We require practice attendance 4x/week; but we expect JV/Varsity (high school) athletes to train 5x/week, which will require at least one day of running an assigned workout on your own (and logging your completed workout on Running2Win) and/or attending optional practices when offered. Also, running-only shoes are required of all athletes, regardless of specialty. See Team Handbook for details.
Note: On-the-track practices are pending contract approval with Rockford; we cannot get confirmation until February. Having said that, we have been using this facility for the past three years and do not expect a problem.
2019 Practice Schedule (*TENTATIVE*)
- Mondays 6:00 - 8:00 P.M. @Rockford High School track
- Tuesdays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. @Hanover City Hall/Settler’s Park (11250 5th St NE, Hanover)
- "Flexible Wednesdays" on your own (required Day 5 training) or with us, location TBD, at/near Hanover.
4:30 - 6:00 P.M. through 4/17; 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. beginning 4/24. Stay as long as you can.
Not held every week--Check the Team Calendar. Wednesdays count toward your early-season "coach led" requirements but do not count toward your in-person attendance.
- Thursdays 6:00 - 8:00 P.M. @Rockford High School track
- Fridays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. TBD Hanover/Greenfield/Corcoran area
If the outdoor track is closed due to the weather, we will relocate and make it work!
Due to space constraints, if practice must move fully indoors, JH practice will be canceled unless an additional (separate) suitable facility can be secured.
The events in which you compete at meets will depend on your attendance, performance, and completing and logging your assigned workouts. High school track meets can last until 9:00 P.M.; junior high meets are slightly shorter. See Team Calendar for schedule (subject to change).
Junior highers are welcome to attend JV/Varsity meets and vice versa, but they are not required to.
No practices will be held on JV/Varsity meet days. JV/Varsity runners will have practice on JH meet days but will be excused from practice if assisting with a JH meet. However, they must complete and log the prescribed workout that day.
Don't miss it! Each athlete will be individually recognized and honored for their contribution to the team. Date TBD; will be held early June.
Watch the Team Calendar for updates!