2020 Track & Field Information & Schedule
NOTE: Space is limited, but we do not have tryouts. We love new athletes!
No experience necessary; there's a place on this team for everyone--from beginners to state qualifiers and everything in between.
Current team members will be given priority online registration beginning 8:00 A.M. Friday, December 6, 2019
(see instructions on Registration page, linked below).
New team families will have the opportunity to register beginning Wednesday, December 11.
Track & Field Events Offered
- Sprints, mid- and long-distance running, relays, hurdles, horizontal jumps (long/triple), throws (shot/discus).
- JV/Varsity running events span distances from 100m to 3200m (2 mile).
- Junior high races go up to the 1600m (1 mile).
All coaches meet MSHSL training requirements. See also information contained under the "About Us" tab in the menu bar.
- Kirk Swanson (MSHSL Certified Head Coach, NFHS Certified Interscholastic Coach)
- Jennifer Swanson (Athletic Director, Assistant Coach - Distance)
- Bob Hutchinson (Assistant Coach and Lead Junior High)
- Mike Becker (Assistant Coach - Throws)
- Deanna Petzold & Rachel Calcamuggio (Assistant Coaches - Long/triple Jumps)
Pre-season attendance is optional. Captains' practices do not count toward your attendance requirements.
- Two weeks preceding the first day of the official season. Schedule TBD.
- Captains: Margaret Myskowski, Jerilynn Simmer, Grant Olson, David Petzold.
Official Season: March 9 - May 27, 2020 (or so)
Spring in Minnesota means unpredictable weather. Prepare to be flexible!
- Varsity Section and State qualifiers go longer (early June) depending on individual advancement (see Team Calendar).
Mark your calendar with post-season meet dates to support your teammates who qualify!
- Junior High season is slightly shorter (mid May).
Practice Attendance Requirements
- You are expected to be at all practices and meets on time and for the duration unless prior arrangements have been made well in advance with the head coach. If you anticipate regular absences, contact the coaches before you register. Track and Field is a team sport, and the team performs its best when everyone is present. Practice affects team unity, morale, and success. Your teammates need you!
- Practice attendance is required 4x/week.
- JV/Varsity (high school) athletes are required to train 5x/week (competitive Varsity athletes 6x/week), which will require at least one day of running an assigned workout on your own (and logging your completed workout on Running2Win) and/or attending optional practices when offered.
- Running-only shoes are required of all athletes, regardless of specialty. See Team Handbook for details.
2020 Practice Schedule (*TENTATIVE*)
- Mondays 6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
- Tuesdays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. @Hanover City Hall/Settler’s Park (11250 5th St NE, Hanover)
- Wednesday practices will be required before Thursday JV/Varsity meets. See Team Calendar.
Otherwise "Flexible Wednesdays" can be on your own (required Day 5 training) or with us, location TBD, at/near Hanover.
- 4:30 - 6:00 P.M. through 4/15; 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. beginning 4/22. Stay as long as you can.
- Not held every week--Watch the Team Calendar. Flexible Wednesdays count toward your early-season "coach led" requirements but do not count toward your in-person cumulative Attendance requirements.
- Thursdays 6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
- Early season (typically 4-6 weeks): @Church of Ss. Peter & Paul
- After the snow/ice clears off the track: @Rockford High School*
- Fridays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. TBD Hanover/Corcoran area
Note there are a few Fridays that we meet later in the evening so that we can get onto the track. See Calendar.
*On-the-track practices are pending contract approval with Rockford; we typically do not get confirmation until February.
Having said that, we have been using this facility for several years and do not expect a problem.
Due to space constraints, if practice must move fully indoors and space is limited, JH practice may be canceled.
- See Team Calendar for schedule (subject to change).
- The events in which you compete at meets will depend on your attendance, performance, and completing and logging your assigned workouts.
- High school track meets can last until 9:00 P.M.; junior high meets are shorter.
- Junior highers are welcome to attend JV/Varsity meets and vice versa, but they are not required to.
No practices will be held on JV/Varsity meet days. JV/Varsity runners will have practice on JH meet days but will be excused from practice if assisting with a JH meet. However, they must complete and log the prescribed workout that day.
Don't miss it! Each athlete is individually recognized and honored for their contribution to the team. See Team Calendar for date.
Watch the Team Calendar for updates!