2020 Cross Country Adaptations
-------- Forwarded Message --------
|Subject:||Cross country specific adaptations for 2020|
|Date:||Thu, 13 Aug 2020 19:17:27 -0500 (CDT)|
Well, here we go! Any rumors can go away now that the official word is out: https://www.mshsl.org/covid-related-resources-2020-2021 . The link to the Cross Country specific guidelines is located near the bottom of the page. Please read this and let us know if you have any questions.
There are many adaptations required to make this season possible, and if we were looking at this 3 months ago, we'd have been very excited by the opportunity. Now that we've been out and about, it takes a little more effort to be grateful. We'll get used to it, though. And we'll be thankful every day that we're among the schools in our state who are allowed to participate. Here are the main points:
- Stay home from practices/meets if you have fever or cold symptoms (we've been saying this all summer, see our yet-again-updated COVID-19 policies here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cj4Ug4C4_V8Mv-aEU3SWcJKNORmtFGgMocMFSAIBDwA/edit).
- Follow the COVID-19 policy above, including 6'+ apart at all times (even when running) and masks when required (this includes multi-family carpools to/from practices and meets).
- Demonstrate responsibility for physical distancing at meets because officials and meet hosts don't have time for that. Our team's reputation depends on your consistent cooperation.
- Team camps will be team members, managers, and coaches only (no spectators/visitors/other teams), and social distancing must be maintained in this area as well.
- Spectators, IF allowed (this is still in question and could depend on the sizes of the teams in attendance, preference of the meet host, etc.) will not have access to student-athletes or team camp during the competition--they must wait until AFTER the meet to connect.
- Runners must retrieve their own warmups from the team box after their races (no collecting other team members' warmups). This will be easy enough with only 3 teams and separated boxes.
- Maximum number on the starting line = 25 (8 max per team for triangular (3-team) meets and 12 max per team for dual (2-team) meets). Don't ask us what that math means... :) Runners arrive at the starting line 15 minutes before the race (no check-in clerk), starting boxes will be separated by empty boxes, and your run-outs (strides, warm-up drills, etc.) must be straight out from the team box (we do this anyway).
- Due to the maximum numbers at the starting line, some races will be done in waves. This will be similar to the staggered starts we've had for JV and JH races in the past, for example, when they have run boys and girls together. However, multiple starts could happen within a given race, depending on entry numbers.
- We will need a volunteer representative at each meet to help clear team members quickly from the finish corral. Masks and gloves are required and will be provided by the team.
Last but not least, you can still say "thank you" from 6 feet away. :) So many people are working to make this season of practices and meets happen for you. It is a major cross country community effort by meet hosts, officials, coaches, and other volunteers!
This should be it in terms of new rules, so thanks for your patience during the sorting-out process.
Again, we are working on a meet schedule that includes races for all team members and will keep you posted.