What is PTC?
The Parent Teacher Co-op of Grand Rapids is an academic partnership between home schooling parents and teachers. It is our goal to offer tutored classes with a high standard of moral and academic excellence based on Biblical principles. In order to achieve this goal, challenging academic lessons along with Biblical applications in light of the Christian heritage of the subject are presented to the student each week. The student is required to complete work at home and keep an organized notebook of the work completed.
The Parent Teacher Co-op first held class in the fall of 2006. It was started to fill a need for a tutoring organization with high academic standards based on the word of God and a place to develop good friendships. The desire of the 6 couples who made up the first PTC board was to not only be able to give their own children a great education, a place to meet good friends, to come along side one another to help develop the Christian character of their own children but to also do the same for the community of home school families in West Michigan.
2018-2019 Parent Teacher Co-Op
- The school year is 34 weeks beginning September 6th ending May 176h.
- Classes meet on Thursdays
- Cost for most one and a half hour classes is $300, the two hour classes are $340. Some classes have copy and material fees added to the class cost.
- Payments are made in six equal payments August 1, September 1, October 1, November 1, February 1 and March 1 to the teacher directly.
- Classes are 34 weeks long. There is no discount for dropping a class.
- The PTC is a co-op. All families are required to volunteer at least 4 times during the year (exact amounts will be determined by the number of families taking classes)
- All classes (5th – 12th grades) require ½ to 1 ½ hours of homework a day.
- All of our teachers are Christians. Each teaches from a biblical principle and a biblical world view using the Principle Approach.
- The PTC is run by a group of volunteer parents.
- Parent Teacher Co-op is held at Banner of Christ Church at 1111 68th St SW, just west of the 131 expressway..
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The purpose of the Parent-Teacher Co-op is to unite like-minded Christian families who believe that it is their God-given responsibility and privilege to provide a Christian education for their children. We believe that this education involves every area of our lives and the Bible is our ultimate authority. The Parent-Teacher Co-op Statement of Purpose is to assist home school parents with specialized educational classes for their children. These classes are designed to enhance and support a home schooling approach to education.
Coming along side parents to raise up a generation of well educated warriors for Christ.
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired and infallible Word of God, and the supreme and final authority in faith and life.
- We believe that there is only one holy, personal Creator God eternally existent in three persons – God the Father, God the Son who is Jesus Christ, and God the Holy Spirit. Through Him all was made that was made according to His Work as it is recorded in Scripture.
- We believe in the Fall of man through the disobedience of Adam rendering man totally unable to justify himself before God.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the express image of the invisible God. Jesus became man, yet was without sin, conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. Jesus Christ died on the cross as a substitute sacrifice for sin and is bodily resurrected into Heaven where He is now as our interceding High Priest. Jesus will return again personally, visibly, and gloriously.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit who testifies of Jesus, convicts us of sin, regenerates and indwells believers, and guides and empowers them to live a life that glorifies God.
- We believe that salvation comes by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, totally apart from human merit and/or works, it is a free gift. The act of regeneration is a work of grace performed by the Holy Spirit and produces a new creature in Christ.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of both the saved and lost. The eternal life in heaven of the saved and the everlasting punishment of those who are lost (unsaved).
- We believe in the power of prayer, the sanctity of life for the living and the unborn – each is a gift from God.