Article I – Name
Section 1.01. The name of this organization shall be Parents Educating at Christian Homes, Inc. (commonly known as PEACH, Inc.)
Article II – Organizational Status
Section 2.01. PEACH is a private, religious, non-profit IRC501(c)(7) social club, and its PEACH Leadership Team is responsible to ensure that PEACH remains in compliance with IRS and state requirements for non-profit organizations.
Article III – Purpose
Section 3.01. To provide support, information, encouragement and fellowship to Christian families who are home educating (homeschooling).
- Homeschooling is defined as a parent/guardian providing annual notification of home educating to the appropriate superintendent in accordance with Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 3301-34-03.
- A second option for homeschooling is allowed by Ohio Revised Code 3301-35-08 for non-chartered schools (“08” schools).
Article IV – Membership Qualifications
Section 4.01. PEACH is a private organization and reserves the right to deny or revoke Membership for any reason.
Section 4.02. Qualifications for Membership:
- All Member families must be homeschooling or have homeschooled at least one of their children as defined in Article III Section 3.01.
- PEACH also accepts families who are homeschooling children not yet of compulsory school age.
- A Member who has been in PEACH for two (2) years but is no longer homeschooling may apply as an Emeritus Member. Emeritus Members must have been a member of PEACH for at least two (2) years and must have graduated at least one of their children from homeschooling high school as defined by PEACH.
- When submitting an application, at least one parent must affirm that they agree with the PEACH Statement of Faith. A parent who does not affirm the Statement of Faith shall not hold an office, serve on committees, vote, teach, or speak at PEACH meetings.
- When submitting an application, applicants must affirm that they and their family members will abide by the PEACH Bylaws and PEACH Policies.
- Membership begins when a completed application is received and annual dues are paid in full as specified within the PEACH Policies.
- Each Member family agrees to waive any and all claims, actions or rights of action, which they may have against the organization, or any of its officers, or Members which may arise from the activities of any Member family of the organization by reason of the purpose and nature of this organization.
Article V – Discipline
Section 5.01. Charges of working against the principles and purposes of PEACH and/or injuring the standing of a Member family shall be dealt with according to Matthew 18:15-17.
Section 5.02. If the process of enacting Article V Section 5.01 is unsuccessful, the issue shall be brought to the PEACH Leadership Team for review. If deemed necessary, the Member family may be suspended or expelled by a unanimous vote of the PEACH Leadership Team.
Article VI – Types of Membership
Section 6.01. Homeschooling and Emeritus
- Homeschooling: Families actively homeschooling children either of compulsory school age or not yet of compulsory school age as defined by the ORC (PEACH Article IV Section 4.02a or 4.02b).
- Emeritus: Members, as defined in Article IV, Section 4.02 (c), no longer actively homeschooling but who wish to remain in PEACH to act as helpers and mentors.
Section 6.02. Member families are allowed one vote per family concerning PEACH business. Absentee voting arrangements may be made through the PEACH Leadership Team prior to the meeting when voting will take place.
Article VII – Dues
Section 7.01. The PEACH Membership year begins August 1 and ends July 31.
Section 7.02. Annual Membership dues are due and payable at the time of application. Member families will receive Membership privileges when dues are paid in full by the deadline specified within the PEACH Policies.
Section 7.03. Dues and other monies received shall be used to pay operating expenses upon PEACH Leadership Team approval.
Section 7.04. Annual Membership dues are waived for current PEACH leaders during their term of service.
Article VIII – Leadership Team
Section 8.01. PEACH is organized by a Leadership Team consisting of no less than three (3) volunteers from within the Membership of the organization.
Section 8.02. Leaders must sign the Volunteer Agreement Form when they accept the handbook for their position. Leaders may only serve on the Leadership Team if they have been a member of PEACH for at least two (2) of the previous five (5) years prior to serving.
Section 8.03. Leadership Team positions and specific duties are described in PEACH policies.
Section 8.04. Leadership Team members are tasked with
- Preserving and promoting the purpose and vision of the group.
- Organizing the functions of the group.
- Deciding on the annual calendar.
- Approving the yearly budget and expenditures.
- Forming new committees as needed and appointing committee chairs.
- Training any new incoming Leadership Team members as they transition into their specific duties at the end of the outgoing Leadership Team term.
Section 8.05. Leadership terms begin on June 30 of each year and end on June 29th of the following year.
Section 8.06. Leaders may serve up to three (3) consecutive years in the same position and a total of six (6) years on the PEACH Leadership Team. They may volunteer again as a Leader after a break of no less than two (2) years from serving on the PEACH Leadership Team.
Section 8.07. By April 30 of each year, the current PEACH Leadership Team will name proposed replacements for any Leaders who plan to step down for the following term. Alternative nominations can be submitted by a petition signed by no less than thirteen (13) current PEACH members and presented to the Leadership Team. The PEACH Leadership Team will then recommend the proposed Leadership Team to the Members for review and vote.
Section 8.08. Each new leader is approved by an affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of all PEACH Members present at a regularly scheduled meeting or a special meeting called for that specific purpose. The meeting must have a minimum of thirteen (13) PEACH members in attendance. Notice of the proposed Leaders and the vote will be made available to the Membership at least ten (10) days in advance of the meeting. In the event of more than one (1) member being nominated for a single leadership team position, the member candidate with the majority vote wins.
Section 8.09. Leadership Team positions may be filled by up to two PEACH Members.
Section 8.10. A Leader who does not comply with his/her responsibilities as described in PEACH Policies, the Volunteer Agreement Form, and the PEACH Handbook for their position may be removed by a majority vote of the PEACH Leadership Team. Appointment of a replacement shall be made with the majority approval of the PEACH Leadership Team.
Section 8.11. In the event of the departure of a Leader during the PEACH Membership year, a replacement shall be appointed with the majority approval of the PEACH Leadership Team.
Section 8.12. Leaders stepping down from the PEACH Leadership Team shall turn over all materials related to PEACH to the PEACH Leadership Team.
Article IX – Policies
Section 9.01. Issues not addressed in the Bylaws or Policies will be decided on a case-by case basis by the PEACH Leadership Team.
Section 9.02. Policies are approved each year by the PEACH Leadership Team.
Section 9.03. Policies describe specifics of
- Leader positions and duties.
- Membership dues.
- Code of Conduct.
- Types of Activities.
- Activity Guidelines.
- PEACH Publication Guidelines.
- Other issues as deemed necessary by the PEACH Leadership Team.
Section 9.04. Policies can be amended at any time by a ¾ vote of the current PEACH Leadership Team.
Section 9.05. Membership will be immediately notified of any Policy changes via all communication channels used by PEACH.
Article X – Meetings
Section 10.01. PEACH Meetings are free and open to the public.
Section 10.02. There shall be a minimum of four PEACH Meetings each year as per Ohio non-profit laws.
Section 10.03. Meetings are to be consistent with the purpose of PEACH.
Section 10.04. Members shall be notified of special meetings at least ten (10) days in advance.
Article XI – Treasury
Section 11.01. Payment for Membership dues and all PEACH-sponsored activities shall be made payable to PEACH. No checks shall be payable to Members or Leaders.
Section 11.02. Post-dated checks will not be accepted.
Section 11.03. Cash may be received in person by Leaders or Members only at PEACH sponsored events and when proper receipt documentation is available. Cash is not to be mailed or delivered to Leaders or Members.
Article XII – Amendments
Section 12.01. The Bylaws and Statement of Faith may be amended or revised by an affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of all PEACH Members present at a regularly scheduled meeting or a special meeting called for that specific purpose. The meeting must have a minimum of thirteen (13) PEACH members in attendance.
Section 12.02. For amendment votes, Section 6.02 applies.
Section 12.03. Copies of proposed amendments shall be made available to Members at least thirty (30) days prior to the meeting when voting will take place. Members shall be notified of a vote to amend the Bylaws or Statement of Faith at least ten (10) days in advance of the meeting when voting will take place.
Article XIII – Dissolution
Section 13.01. PEACH may be dissolved upon recommendation by the PEACH Leadership Team and by an affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of all PEACH Members present at a regularly scheduled meeting or a special meeting called for that specific purpose. The meeting must have a minimum of thirteen (13) PEACH members in attendance. Recommendation and member vote to dissolve PEACH will only take place after reasonable actions have been taken to preserve the organization and 30 days’ notice for the vote to dissolve the organization has been given to the members. Should PEACH be dissolved, material possessions and monies shall be given to a like-minded homeschooling organization after any and all bills have been paid. Recipient organization shall be chosen by a majority vote of the PEACH Leadership Team.
Revised November 8, 2017