Helpful information for new home schoolers
Texas Education Code
- Age Requirement – “a child who is at least six years of age, or who is younger than six years of age and has previously been enrolled in first grade and who has not yet reached the child’s 18th birthday shall attend school.”
- Days required – 180 days. (Only required for public schools)
- Required subjects – Good citizenship, math, reading, spelling and grammar.
- Good citizenship is a broad subject and can be covered in a course of good character/morals, teaching to be a good private citizen in the community, etc.
- Home schools can legally operate as private schools in Texas – therefore fall under private school guidelines in the state of Texas.
Taking Children Out of Public School
- Obtain your curriculum
- Write the principal of the school your child attends and tell him that you are withdrawing. See the Withdraw from Public School Section of the Texas Home School Coalition website for sample letters. For additional information dealing with the school district, see THSC’s FAQs page. Click the School Districts tab.
- If the school contacts you and requires more than just the letter, ask for their request IN WRITING. Keep copies of all correspondence
Reasons to Home School
- To have daily and consistent time to spend with your children to instill Christian principles and moral values.
- To customize your child’s education – choosing curriculum and modifying for each of your children.
- To allow the child to work at their own pace rather than to be left behind or to have to wait for peers to catch up.
- To avoid secular teaching inconsistent with your theology.
- Socialization Issues
- To provide a safe learning environment for children.
- To be available to serve the family and neighbors.
- To allow more time to pursue interests and gifts.
- To provide the child with a wide scope of relationships with people of ALL ages rather than with only peers of the same age.
- Special Needs
- If a child has special needs (ADD, handicaps, etc..), home education provides an alternative means of education surrounded with a loving family. Contact email@example.com to talk with a loving parent for support.
- To Strengthen Family Relationships
- Home education provides the avenue for siblings to become friends and family ties to become stronger.