- This course is offered on Thursdays.
- This course is open to 9th - 12th grade students.
- Students are required to have a well-established command of grammar and sentence writing.
- ALL students must pass a grammar diagnostic test administered prior to registration.
- The Hodges Harbrace Handbook, 18th Edition
The students will learn the basics of essay writing to prepare them for more advanced English.
Students will study the writing process in-depth and then apply these skills over three essays.
By applying good grammar developed through intense and frequent practice,
students will develop strong writing and organizational skills which will help them produce coherent essays.
This is a College Prep class. As such, it is for advanced 9th grade students, 10th grade students, and up.
This course will focus on the skills needed to succeed on the college level.
Course Class Time:
- Class will primarily be split between lecture and in-class practice with the homework.
- Students complete grammatical homework, and we cover the answers in class with
students giving their answers and checking their answers.
- Lecture will be over grammatical rules, as well as techniques for writing better essays and sentences.
- All work will be writing related.
Course Homework Requirements:
- Writing, writing, and more writing.
- Assignments will cover grammar assignments and writing assignments.
- The assignments will require the student to write their answers coherently or to analyze and rewrite sentences for grammar practice.
- There will be tests over the reading material.
- Students can expect to spend 3-5 hours per week on homework.
- Students often perform at different levels, so some students may spend more time on assignments and essays than others.
- The work should be spread out through the week for optimal learning.
- Tests are ten questions each and multiple choice.
- Tests will be given in class.
- As a writing course, there will be no midterm or final exam.
These days will be for submitting Primary Essay Assignments.
- 75% essay assignments
- 10% homework
- 15% tests
- As this is a writing course, with papers being continually edited and improved upon,
parents should expect grades in Schoology to flucuate significantly.
If you ever have concern or need clarification on a student's current grade,
please feel free to contact me.
- loose-leaf, lined paper