- This course is offered on Thursdays.
- Write Source (2009) Student Book Grade 7
- Johnny Tremain, by Esther Forbes
– it is important for students to have this specific version of the book: ISBN-13: 978-0547614328
- various short stories (supplied by tutor)
This course will be divided into three main parts: Writing / Grammar / Literature.
Emphasis will be placed on the basics of writing, and students will work on developing
their writing skills through Narrative, Descriptive, and Persuasive compositions.
We will also complete a thorough review of grammar, particularly as it pertains to
grammar for writing.
Students will complete an Interactive Reading Literary Notebook that introduces
various literary elements.
We will read one novel this year with an emphasis on “close reading.”
The novel will also contain our vocabulary unit for the year.
Course Class Time:
- Class time will be used to work on the current writing assignment
and to introduce new grammar and literature concepts.
Course Homework Requirements:
- Every week will consist of one or more of the 3 main elements of the class: reading, writing, and grammar work.
- A Homework Schedule will be provided each week that outlines what students should accomplish each day in order to prepare for the next class.
- The amount of time spent on English homework each day will vary, depending on the current assignment(s), as well as from student to student,
but students can expect to spend an average of one hour per day, four to five days a week, on English.
- 25% homework completion
- 25% writing
- 25% grammar
- 25% literature
- There will be extra credit opportunities throughout the year.
- Students will need word processing software, preferably Word.
- CamScanner or other scanning app for uploading assignments to Schoology
- Write Source textbook
- copy of Johnny Tremain – Note ISBN#
- three-ring binder with 8 tabbed dividers with some loose leaf notebook paper
- composition book
- colored pencils
- pens, pencils, highlighters
In order to have an idea of the writing style and mechanics of each student,
there will be a small summer writing assignment to complete by the first day of