Policies & Procedures 2019-2020
South Lake Home Educators
Welcome to South Lake Home Educators! Whether you are new to homeschooling or a seasoned veteran, our desire is to serve you by providing resources, activities, encouragement, and events to enhance your homeschooling experience.
Mission Statement with a Purpose
SLHE is a volunteer-led support group providing resources for educational activities, communication, encouragement, fellowship, and information to homeschool families and to those interested in homeschooling.
SLHE is a support group existing to encourage home educating families in the task of teaching their children at home. The group is administered, according to Biblical principles, by a volunteer Board of Directors for its various functions and activities.
Co-Op Mission Statement with a Purpose
SLHE Co-op is an activity of the SLHE support group. We seek to provide a whole-group experience for students in a positive environment of respect, diligence, and high standards. We rely on each family to contribute to the success of the co-op on a weekly basis. We hold all participants to a standard of behavior consistent with conservative family values.
2019-2020 Board of Directors
President: Dallis Wehr- email@example.com
Vice President: Kathy Pleasants- firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Christina Skelton- email@example.com
Treasurer: Sarah Cerilli- firstname.lastname@example.org
Member at Large: Heidi Boocher- email@example.com
Member at Large: Deirdre Harrington- firstname.lastname@example.org
Member at Large: Jodi De Rosa- email@example.com
Member at Large: Marisa Leslie- firstname.lastname@example.org
The majority of our members register to homeschool with their individual counties. A number of families are enrolled in private schools existing primarily for home educating families. We are open to any home schooling family needing support, despite race, creed, or religion, though most of our members are Christians. We expect our members to be in compliance with the homeschool laws of the state unless they have religious or constitutional objections.
SLHE offers numerous activities outlined in the following pages for grades K-12. Attendance is not required, so families can participate as they choose. Our activities are organized on a volunteer basis by individual parents who are members of our support group. Each activity requires planning and coordination, as well as many helpers to see it through successfully. Please volunteer in an area of interest to your family. We operate on a volunteer basis therefore if we don’t have enough volunteers for an event, it has to be deleted from the schedule. If there is an event that you would like to see included on our schedule, please contact a member of the Board of Directors.
There is an annual membership fee for SLHE covering a traditional school year, September 1st through August 31st. All SLHE memberships expire on August 31st of each year. Florida Parent-Educators Association membership is offered at a discounted rate to our membership as a separate fee. Co-op fees are not part of membership fees. Periodically, there may be additional fees for individual field trips, drama club, etc.
SLHE encourages participation and welcomes ideas and suggestions from its members for activities and events. These include field trips, co-ops, guest speakers, and any other events that would be beneficial to the homeschool community and our support group. The Board of Directors must approve all activities sponsored through SLHE.
This support group consists of home educating parents joining together to share their talents, resources, and time in order to enhance and enrich the educational experiences of their children.
Parental involvement is a necessity to avoid a deteriorating program and lost opportunities for our children. A support group also provides a source of advice and encouragement for the parent-teacher.
The Board of Directors may revise Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct at any time. As revisions are made, membership will be given notification of any changes. Expect changes as SLHE grows in membership and maturity. Please keep a copy of Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct on file for future reference at any time.
South Lake Home Educators Policies and Procedures 2019-2020
The SLHE Board of Directors serves to provide direction, information and organization to the group. It is responsible for maintaining the overall policy and direction of the organization.
- The Board of Directors shall consist of 4 officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer which comprise the Executive Committee. One or more members at large shall be appointed to the Board by the Board as the Executive Committee deems necessary.
- The Board of Directors shall be required to sign the Statement of Faith to ensure Christian leadership of SLHE.
- The Board of Directors shall be a self-perpetuating entity. Current Board members will choose members to train to follow them in their offices.
- Members are eligible for consideration as a board member when they have been an active member of SLHE for no less than two year and have been a coordinator, or co op teacher in good standing, for no less than one year. In addition to eligibility, prospective board members must complete an interview with current members of the Board of Directors.
Members will have the following provided as part of their dues:
- Membership to SLHE with all rights as members including Support / Encouragement/ and Fellowship of other homeschooling families.
- Membership to the Florida Parent-Educators Association (FPEA) at a discounted rate.
- SLHE membership includes a members' only website which also sends emails to inform parents of upcoming events, any field trips, and other educational opportunities which will provide information and communication with other SLHE members. Members are encouraged to set up their own family pages on our web site.
- SLHE may arrange meeting places for larger group activities such as end of the year standardized testing and Promotion Night.
- SLHE will coordinate the dates of field trips, events, and co-ops planned by its members, parent support and standardized testing.
- SLHE members may invite up to one outside guest to special events such as dances, Prom, and other coordinated activities according to the coordinator and/or board member’s discretion.
- SLHE provides an online directory for communicating with other South Lake Home Educators families. This is not to be used for solicitation or business.
- SLHE will provide an online handbook describing existing opportunities, Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct, information about Florida’s homeschooling laws, and other helpful information.
Membership is open to anyone interested in home education and who agrees to abide by SLHE’s Policies and Procedures. The Board of Directors reserves the right to deny membership. Membership may also be terminated if a member no longer meets the qualifications. The qualifications for membership are as follows:
- Each family is expected to read and agree to respect the purpose of SLHE, read and agree with the Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct, and complete online Membership Registration. If you have a child aged ten years or older, or will turn ten during the current membership year, please have them read and agree to abide by Youths’ Expected Conduct.
- Each family pays a nonrefundable fee to cover our combined expenses such as building rental fees, insurance, paper products, bank fees, postage, printing, and supplies. Membership in SLHE also entitles families to a discounted Florida Parent-Educators Association membership. Families choosing to participate will assume optional expenses (field trips, etc.). Membership fees should be received by August 31st. Anyone not having paid by August 31st will be considered delinquent and lose access to the website.
- Each member is required to serve as a volunteer in at least one of our activities that benefit SLHE as a whole. New members will be asked to serve alongside an experienced member.
- Each family agrees to uphold and model a high standard of courtesy and dress appropriate to the occasion at functions. Members are encouraged to wear their SLHE T-Shirts during all field trips to help identify group members.
- Each family agrees to maintain an attitude of cooperation so that everyone can enjoy events.
- Each family agrees to respect the schedules of volunteers who establish deadlines in order to offer activities. Deadlines are set according to the preparations required for the activity, and are announced with adequate time for response. Please be considerate; don’t ask for special treatment because you missed a deadline. This includes prompt payment of fees. For example field trip fees or testing fees, etc.
- Parents must be present and responsible whenever their children are attending or participating in a function.
- In the case of a student drop-off event, the parent must complete a Release of Liability/Assumption of Risk form and be available via phone. The student is under the authority of the adults in charge and should abide by the Expected Conduct. Adults present are expected to supervise.
- In the event of any facility damage, the family of the person involved is responsible for repair or reparation.
- The South Lake Home Educators name is incorporated. As such, no member shall start a webpage, social networking site or photo sharing site in the name of SLHE or South Lake Home Educators without Board approval. Any such site or page established without Board approval is in violation of law and member/members that created them will be asked to remove them.
Keep in mind that the quality of your SLHE experience is directly related to your involvement in the group. Members are required to participate in some service to the group. There are many opportunities available throughout the year. Please look over the Service Opportunities/Job Descriptions section of the handbook. Please let the Board of Directors know in what area you can serve.
We encourage people who are not comfortable with our guidelines to seek like-minded homeschooling families in other support groups.
A copy of Policies & Procedures, and Expected Conduct will be available on the web site. You must check off each box to agree in order to complete Membership Registration.
By agreeing with a statement, all members and children will behave in manner consistent with Expected Conduct at all SLHE meetings and sponsored events. Failure to do so could result in dismissal of membership with SLHE.
The behavior and conduct of our children is how society will judge homeschoolers and SLHE in general. Please join us to build a good reputation for homeschoolers as well behaved, interesting, and responsible young people.
1. Be respectful and courteous at all times.. No profanity. No drugs. No alcohol at any SLHE Family oriented events.
2. Absolutely no physical altercations are acceptable. Depending upon the severity, a member can be terminated immediately at the discretion of the Board.
3. Parents are expected to be in control of children and their behaviors at all times and are liable for any damage or personal injury incurred during any field trip or event scheduled by SLHE volunteers.
4. If someone else's child should break the rules ask him/her to check with his/her parents right away or inform the parent or event coordinator of the situation immediately.
5. If you have a conflict or issue with a member of SLHE, please try to resolve that issue or conflict with the person directly. If unable to resolve please bring issue to the event coordinator if applicable. If issue is still not resolved please bring issue in written form to the board President or Secretary. The issue will be addressed at the next meeting or, if needed, a special meeting of the board will be called. All board decisions will be final.
6. All members (parents & children) are expected to respect the use of any facility used by SLHE. Running in buildings, carving on or defacing property, throwing things, littering, willful damage to, or destruction of property, will not be tolerated. All members and children must respect the rules and materials in the facilities and not touch materials or equipment not needed for the function. Please pick up after yourself and your children and encourage your children to clean up all play areas before leaving. We should always advise our children that many of these facilities, whether used for meetings or visited for field trips may be someone’s work place. The level of noise must be kept to a minimum. Members must respect all parameters and restrictions set by any facility used by SLHE.
7. Students must be supervised at all times and are not permitted to roam freely without adult supervision at any SLHE event.
8. Students cannot leave an event without knowledge or permission from the host/hostess/coordinator.
9. At any SLHE meeting, special event or activity, the Board of Directors and/or Coordinator has the right to approve and choose the music listened to. Music must be honoring to family values and the SLHE purpose.
10. Parents need to honor the parameters established by coordinators of field trips such as signups/cancelation procedures, meeting payment deadlines and participation guidelines.
11. Be prompt. If you are unable to be prompt for a scheduled event, the group will not be able to wait for you and will proceed without you. If you are unable to attend a field trip/event, let coordinator know in advance. Failure to do so would result in forfeiture of any monies paid.
12. Fulfill your commitments. If you find you cannot attend an event after signing up, call to cancel so someone else can take your place. If you find you are having trouble fulfilling your volunteer position, do all you can to help the coordinator find someone to take your place.
13. Please do not bring your child to a field trip or event if he/she is not feeling well, has been running a fever or is contagious. If your child has been exposed to a contagious illness, such as chicken pox, please inform the group members ASAP so we may take precautions. When it comes to chicken pox and such illnesses please do not bring potentially exposed but not yet sick children to events. Please also be mindful if your child or other family member has lice or has recently been treated for such.
14. Our activities are designed to be learning experiences for school age children and members should do all they can to make them as profitable as possible. Preschoolers and babies are more than welcome to attend the activities if they are not noisy or distracting. PLEASE remove disruptive preschoolers or babies (i.e., babbling, crying, talking, etc.) from any assembly in consideration of others. Your cooperation in this sensitive area is greatly appreciated.
15. Our rules extend to online activity. Do not flame other members on or off list. Do not forward messages from SLHE to other groups, with the exception of sale ads/public statements and the like. DO NOT forward or share personal SLHE messages and/or member contact information to other persons or other groups.
16. Do not create pages, sites or any other internet related vehicle in the SLHE name without Board approval. Any such site or page established without Board approval is in violation of law and member/members that created them will be asked to remove them and will be subject to disciplinary action as deemed appropriate by the Board.
17. Youth and parent(s) are required to abide by and sign Youths’ Expected Conduct. A youth is defined as any minor age 10 and older.
18. The Board of Directors has discretion to determine guidelines to all of the above.
As the parent or legal guardian of the child(ren) listed on the Membership Profile, I consent and agree that said child(ren) may participate in group activities and events. I hereby assume all risk as a result of my child(ren)’s participation in the events and activities. I also hold harmless and indemnify South Lake Home Educators, its leadership, and any volunteers for accidents, injury, illness, or any other condition which may jeopardize the health/safety of my child(ren) involved therein. I have read and agree to uphold the organization, Policies and Procedures and Expected Conduct while participating in group activities.
Youths’ Expected Conduct
All participating Youth (10 years old and up) and their parent(s) or guardian(s) must read and agree to the following:
1. I have read and agree with the SLHE Mission Statement with a Purpose.
2. I have read and agree with the SLHE Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct.
3. My behavior will be honoring to family and SLHE at all SLHE meetings, field trips, special events and activities (which will hereto forward be referred to as SLHE Functions).
4. I will dress modestly at all SLHE Functions. This includes no spaghetti straps, no bare midriffs, and no underwear showing. Tank top shirts must have straps that are 2 finger widths wide. Shorts must come to at least your fingertips when hands are relaxed at your side. All pants must cover underwear.
5. I will behave respectfully and appropriately with members of the opposite sex at all SLHE functions.
6. I understand that the SLHE Board of Directors has the discretion to determine the guidelines of all of the above.