Ephesians 4:29 - ETC Speech & Debate Club - About
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
but that which is good to the use of edifying,
that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Ephesians 4:29 (KJV)
ETC's Competitive Speech and Debate Club, Ephesians 4:29, exists to help students learn the skills necessary to confidently share their faith. Our goal is to prepare students to be resolute in their thinking and compassionate in their speech. Through training and competition, club members will gain the skills needed for presenting various types of speeches and/or participating in the different types of debate. Parents and students work together to prepare the student for various competitions throughout the school year. Our competitions are all part of the STOAUSA.org organization. There are several local tournaments as well as regional and national tournaments for your family to choose from.
Limited Preparation Speeches
Wild Card Event Speeches - Speech Subject changes every other year
Lincoln Douglas Value Debate - uses a one on one format in which students discuss and debate competing values or value systems.
Team Policy Debate - teams of two students debate one another addressing issues of contemporary public policy.
Parliamentary Debate - teams of two students use an extemporaneous form of debate. The topic is given just minutes prior to the round.
**More information about each category can also be viewed at stoausa.org.
Age and Skill Requirements:
- No skills required.
· A desire to learn and a willingness to work with others in the club.
· Senior’s Division-ages 12-18 (birthday on or before October 1st)
· Junior’s Division-ages 5-12
· Ephesians 4:29 Club meetings on Wednesday
· Ephesians 4:29 Speech and Debate Club Tournament-parent and student participation
***All families participating in the club are required to have a parent volunteer at any tournament.
· At home preparation and practice
· Parent participation at meetings/ training sessions.
· ETC Membership
· STOA Membership- visit stoausa.org for details
· Various extra training to be announced when available.
· Weekly/Bi-Weekly/Monthly Club meetings beginning in late August *required*
· Skill enhancement classes offered through ETC during Consortium.
· Private Coaching opportunities scheduled with various professionals and coaches.
· Additional workshops in the US.