- When you arrive to monitor, please check off your name on the monitor board at the desk in the church lobby. This saves our staff from having to go and look for you.
- Please remember that if you cannot fulfill a particular monitoring responsibility, it is your job to find a substitute.
- Monitors are generally expected to use their own judgment about what is appropriate “on their watch.” Do not hesitate to ask a student to stop any activity that you feel is inappropriate or unsafe.
- Also, please feel free to fine students who break the rules –
No Name Tag $1.00
Littering or leaving a mess - $1.00
Driving off campus without written parental permission - $10.00
Walking off campus is never permitted - $10.00
Damaging the facility while fooling around (starting at $10.00)
The fine jar will be at the front desk.
- If we have to cancel a week of Cornerstone (due to weather or other circumstances), your monitor assignment will automatically be moved to the make-up week at the same time and in the same place.
- Please don’t be overwhelmed by the list of monitoring responsibilities. Most students comply with the rules, and make the monitoring jobs easy and even fun.
Floating Monitor Responsibilities
- The floating monitor is responsible to check on all classrooms in use, study hall, talk room, as well as keep an eye on hallways, choir room, and sanctuary.
- At each classroom door, simply look in the window to make sure that everything in the classroom seems to be under control. As you pass through the hallways, if you see any students not in class, please ask them to go to the study hall, talk room, lobby or outside/gym (if a monitor is available.)
- In the talk room: Students may talk, listen to music, and play games, as long as the volume is kept within reason. As the monitor, you should decide if things are getting out of hand and ask students to quiet down if necessary. There are no food or drinks allowed!
- Students are expected to clean up after themselves. Remind them of this if necessary.
Lunch: Lunchroom/Floating/Outside Monitor Responsibilities
- Lunchroom monitors should keep an eye on what is going on in the room, and remind students to clean up after themselves if necessary. Please put a stop to rowdy behavior.
- Outside monitors should keep an eye on what is going on outdoors, and remind students to clean up after themselves in all areas (at picnic tables and other areas where students have eaten lunch.)
- Lunchroom monitors are to wipe tables and clean up lunchroom at end of shift.
Outside/Gym Monitor Responsibilities
- Please let the previous monitor know you have arrived – because of the large area, sometimes this has caused confusion in the past. Likewise please stay until your replacement comes or let leadership know before leaving so we’re sure the area is covered.
- Outside monitors should keep an eye on what is going on outdoors and call a halt to any activity that he/she deems unsafe, inappropriate, or too noisy. Some noise is expected; excessive noise is not.
- Please do not allow students to drive motorcycles around lot or provide rides to friends in the parking lot.
- All cars should drive very slowly in the lot since there are usually many small children around.
- There should be no unsupervised students outside.
- Students must not climb trees, and must pick up their own trash before returning inside. They may need to be reminded to do so.
- Outside monitors should remain outdoors with the students unless the weather turns wet (in which case all students should be brought indoors), or all students decide to come inside to the gym.
- Students may not stay in cars unless they are with their parent.
- Gym monitors are responsible to keep an eye on what is going on in the gym and call a halt to any game or activity that he/she deems unsafe, inappropriate, or too noisy. Some noise is expected; excessive noise is not.
- Gym monitors serving at the 2:40-3:40 hour should make sure the window shutters are closed at the end of the hour.
- If you are in the gym monitoring, please remain in the gym, unless all the students using the gym that hour want to go outside. If so, please go outside and monitor students outdoors.
- No students should ever be on the stage.
- Students should put all balls away before leaving.