Code of Conduct
We, as Christians, are called to be salt and light. Others observe what we say and do. It is our obligation to represent Christ in a manner consistent with Biblical teaching (Philippians 1:25). Therefore, this Code of Conduct has been created as a guideline for our members and others who may participate. It is a parent’s responsibility to instruct his/her child (children) in proper behavior and speech, and to oversee his/her child’s education.
“Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
~ Proverbs 22:6
1. Attendance at Outside Functions (i.e., field trips, group trips, community work, club meetings, classes, etc.)
- Be courteous and attentive to speakers or guides.
- Stay with the group.
- Supervise your children at all times.
- Keep play and chatter to a minimum.
- Wear appropriate dress for the occasion.
- Silence and store all electronics.
2. Manner of Dress (1 Timothy 2:9)
- Dress for parents, youth and children should be clean, well-maintained and modest.
- Please NO short-shorts, revealing tops, immodest swim wear, etc.
- Clothing and jewelry with occult, pagan, or crude messages or designs are not acceptable.
- Please no displaying of tattoos (if you have a tattoo(s), please do your best to cover them).
3. Speech (Ephesians 4: 29)
- Speech that is lewd, vulgar, or includes cursing is not acceptable.
- Parents should teach their children what is and is not appropriate to discuss with other children, especially those that are younger.
4. Attitude Towards Others (Philippians 2:3-5)
- Respect others as cherished children of God.
- Teasing or ridicule of others is not acceptable (i.e., personal religious beliefs, weight, glasses, etc.)
- Always be ready to encourage, edify, and support each other in love.
5. Personal Example (1 Timothy 4: 12-16)
At BHE functions, the following activities are expressly prohibited:
- smoking or the use of any tobacco products
- use or possession of alcohol
- use or possession of illegal drugs
- theft. If it doesn’t belong to you, HANDS OFF!
6. Personal Relationships (1 Timothy 4:12)
- Boyfriend/girlfriend public display of affection is entirely inappropriate at BHE functions.
- Parents should teach their children to exercise discretion in their conversations with others about boy-girl relationships.
7. Respect for Church Buildings and Public Property (Matthew 7:12; Philippians 2:4)
- Everyone will be expected to show respect for any facility we use.
- Please express appreciation to those who extend their hospitality toward us.
- Notify one of the leaders immediately if any damage occurs to the property.
- Those that litter or create a mess should be reminded to clean up after themselves. Anyone should feel free to give such reminders in a polite manner. If the responsible party is unwilling to correct the problem, please notify one of the leaders at that time and not later.
8. Music, Magazines, Books, etc. (1 Corinthians 8:9)
- All music, magazines, books, etc., that are brought to BHE functions should encourage and strengthen our faith.
- Please be sensitive to those who may not approve for their families what others, in an honest evaluation of their faith, have accepted for theirs.
9. Conflicts (Colossians 3:12-13, Hebrews 12:14-15, Ephesians 4:31-32)
- All conflicts should be resolved in a Christ-like manner, based upon Biblical principles.
- The Bible teaches us that if our brother or sister has offended us, we are responsible to make it right. (Matthew 18:15-17)
- The Bible teaches us if we have offended our brother or sister we are responsible to go to that person to make it right. (Matthew 5:23)
- Please do not discuss your conflict with uninvolved parties.
- Simple rule of thumb: If you’re not part of the problem or solution, you are gossiping.
Our Code of Conduct is meant to be a guideline. We hope to strengthen our fellowship and our faith in Christ through a mutual understanding of common and courteous behavior that will demonstrate to our children and to others who observe us that we truly do represent Christ in all that we say and do. In the event that there are those who choose to disregard the guidelines set forth in this Code, our leadership will contact the individuals involved in such behavior. If they choose to disregard the encouragement to change behavior, the leadership reserves the right to drop those individuals from BHE membership. Reinstatement of membership will be granted only after the leadership feels appropriate changes have been made (Colossians 3:12-13).