Search By Keyword:
(separate multiples with a comma)

Where is HOPE?


HOPE serves Pine County in east central Minnesota. Our meetings are generally in the Sandstone area, with members currently ranging from Willow River to Cloverdale and beyond.


What does HOPE stand for?


HOPE is an acronym for Helping Other Parents Educate. Our goal is to help parents fulfill their God-given right and responsibility to educate their children. As homeschooling parents, we desire to come together with other believers to support each other in homeschooling.

This group is rooted in core Christian beliefs and practices. We choose to focus on what we have in common as members of the body of Christ, rather than denominational differences. With that in mind, anyone is welcome, regardless of religious practice or belief. We have no desire to cause anyone discomfort or force our beliefs on anyone else, but we do reserve the right to unabashedly give glory to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.


How do I join the homeschool group?


Click the link at the upper right to request membership. From there, you will be taken through an online registration process which involves:

  • applying for access to the member side of this website
  • filling out the current year's registration form including an acknowlegement of our beliefs and policies
  • payment of the annual registration fee

Your application for access to the website must be reviewed and approved, which may take time. If you do not have access within 2 days of your registration, you may email the administrator.


How can I legally homeschool in Minnesota?

  • Children must receive instruction from the time they turn 7 until they turn 16.
  • The following subjects must be taught:
    • Reading
    • Writing
    • Literature
    • Fine arts
    • Math
    • Science
    • History
    • Geography
    • Government
    • Health
    • Physical education
  • An initial report must be filed to the Superintendent by October 1 of the first year after the child turns 7. If you move to a new school district, you must file a new report by October 1. You must also file within 15 days of withdrawing a child from public school. This report must provide the child's name, date of birth, address, and the name of the annual test to be given. It must also include information on immunizations (whether given or exempt) when the child turns 7 and again when the child is in 7th grade.
  • In subsequent years, a letter of intent to continue homeschooling must be filed by October 1, noting any changes to the initial report.
  • Being your child's parent legally qualifies you to teach your child in the state of Minnesota.
  • Standardized tests must be administered annually. Test results should not be submitted to the school district.
  • Records must be kept of subjects taught, materials used, and standardized tests given. This information need only be made available to county attorneys under certain circumstances.

Please do not submit information to the school district if it is not legally required. Doing so makes it easier for districts to request or demand this information of all their homeschooling families, which erodes our rights as homeschoolers.

The Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) offers an analysis of the Minnesota homeschool laws which should help you get started. If you have further questions, you can email us at info@hopemn.org.