Please call The Network administrator (664-3421) to report an absence before your student’s first class period.
Also, contact teachers as soon as possible to get assignments so they can be turned in on the Monday the student returns.
- 1-3 absences: Excused
- 4th absence: Family meeting with the Board of Directors and possible expulsion
- Families needing to maximize flexibility may not find The Network to be a good fit.
Tardiness disrupts the classroom environment, and portrays a poor attitude. When a student is late for class the teacher will note the tardiness on the class attendance record. Repeated tardiness will be accounted as an absence.
Class Add/Drop Policy
To add or drop a class, complete the required online form.
Dropped classes after certain deadlines will incur a drop fee or full tuition payment. See Network Tuition and Fees for deadlines.
All students are required to wear an unaltered Network shirt or sweatshirt with an official Network logo. The Network logo must be visible at all times. This helps the Grace Church staff identify our students as part of The Network. We strongly encourage the purchase of a t-shirt AND a sweatshirt since the building is cold in the winter. Students may not wear hats or caps in church buildings. Skirts and shorts may not be more than 3” above the knees. Pants/shorts/skirts should have no holes above the knees, have no writing on the behind, and completely cover all undergarments. Leggings and jeggings are not allowed.
If a student fails to wear his/her uniform in a modest manner or in compliance with the above code, he/she will be sent to the administrator to:
- check out a t-shirt or sweatshirt to borrow and turn in at the end of the day.
- call parent/guardian to bring appropriate clothing to The Network.
- purchase a Network shirt/sweatshirt if one is available. (The family will be billed for the amount.)
Shirts and sweatshirts can be purchased from Eight/Seven Central. Go to "Parents" >> "Shirt Ordering Info" after logging in as a member.
Facility Rules at Grace Church
The Network has contracted with Grace Church to use the gym and certain classrooms on Mondays. Students should only use the areas reserved for The Network. We want to honor the church by keeping wear and tear of the facilities to a minimum.
- Please ENTER and EXIT the building through the main doors.
- FOOD and DRINKS are allowed only in the gym and in classrooms for organized activities. All drink bottles or cans need to have a lid. Students should clean up after themselves.
- Students and teachers are allowed to use the YOUTH KITCHEN microwave and refrigerator on the second floor. Students should clean up after themselves. The main kitchen by the gym is not for Nework use.
- The ATRIUM is an area reserved for Grace Church and not for Network use. Please refrain from eating, drinking, or socializing in this area.
- Students should use the RESTROOMS located across from the elevator on the first and second floors. Other restrooms in the building are not for Network use.
- While WAITING for rides, students can be in the gym or in the breezeway at the main entrance. Please do not wait in the atrium.
- Any questions or concerns while at The Network can be addressed by the administrator. The Grace Church staff is not affiliated with The Network, but they are gracious to allow us to use their building.
If a student has cheated, the teacher will work to resolve the situation with the student and family. If the situation cannot be resolved with the student and family, the teacher will refer it to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors will review all the available information, request a family meeting, and set disciplinary action up to and including expulsion from The Network.
The Network may cancel or delay classes due to bad weather. Late starts and cancellation decisions will be made by 6:30am and transmitted by email and Rained Out text alert. If Des Moines School District cancels classes, The Network will as well, with an email and Rained Out alert still going out. To join the Rained Out text alert group, see instructions on the member home page.
The Network Delayed Start: When The Network employs a late start schedule, classes will begin at 10:00am with 2nd and 3rd period classes beginning at 10:50am and 11:40am respectively. Lunch and afternoon classes will resume at their regular times.
The Network Classes Cancelled: Teachers will assign homework via email for the week. Families pay tuition for snow days.
When The Network has not canceled classes, but your local school cancels due to bad weather, call the Network Administrator on the Network cell phone (664-3421) to be excused for the day. Contact teachers for your assignments.
Students are allowed to use cell phones and other electronic devices in the gym, in the breezeway at the main entrance, and in classrooms as permitted by teachers. Students are also allowed to use The Network cell phone at the administrator's table to contact parents/guardians. Parents can call The Network administrator at 664-3421 any time to contact their students during The Network day.
Firearms and Weapons
Students of The Network may not have in their possession any of the following prohibited items. This policy covers any facility where The Network meets and any time while the Network is in session including times before and after The Network session while individuals are arriving or departing.
1. Firearms as defined by Iowa Code
2. Any dangerous or prohibited item as defined by Iowa Code Section 702.7
3. Any other item as determined by the facility in which we meet
4. Explosives including fireworks as defined by Iowa Code
Exceptions to this policy may only be made in advance with the consent of the director, administrator, and facility manager.
This policy is not construed to imply prohibition of legal weapons possession, yet any such possession must be approved of or in compliance with the director, administrator, or facility manager.
If any prohibited item is found, it will be immediately confiscated. The first offense will carry a fine of up to $100 and possible expulsion as determined by the Board of Directors. Any second offense will result in immediate expulsion without recourse or remedy other than due process.