Fall 2019 Cross Country: General Information & Schedule
Updated 5/30/2019. Subject to change.
NOTE: Space is limited for each squad, but we do not have tryouts. We love new athletes!
We expect most openings to be at the junior high level. In all cases:
- Current (2018-19) team members will be given priority registration beginning Thursday, May 30. A link will be sent via email.
- Prospective new team members will be placed on a waiting list, with preference given to siblings (grades 7-11) of current team members. Seniors participating in Nighthawk programs for the first time will be accepted on a space-available basis.
- New team members will have the opportunity to register beginning Tuesday, June 4. Contact us in advance to let us know that you're interested in participating, so we can let you know if space might be available. We will send you a link to the online forms when new-member registration opens.
Mandatory team registration & orientation meeting - Monday, June 10, 2019, 6:15 P.M. @Hanover City Hall.
See Team Calendar for details.
- All online and paper forms and fees are due at this time. Late registrations/paperwork are not guaranteed participation.
- All athletes plus at least one parent per family must attend.
- Bring a snack to share if you're staying for the movie (PG/G suggestions welcome).
- If you cannot attend the meeting, you must meet with the NHAC Athletic Director in person to sign the MSHSL group paperwork before the meeting.
- If you are reading this after the team meeting, contact us.
- JV/Varsity (high school) athletes run the 5K (3.1 mi).
- Junior High (7th-8th grade) races vary but are shorter (closer to 2400m/1.5 mi).
All coaches meet MSHSL training requirements. See also information contained under the "About Us" tab in the menu bar.
- Kirk Swanson (MSHSL Certified Head Coach)
- Jennifer Swanson (Assistant Coach & Athletic Director)
- John Kippley (Assistant Coach)
- Cristine Nielsen (Assistant Coach)
Pre-season attendance is optional but encouraged. Captains' practices do not count toward your attendance requirements.
- Two weeks preceding the official season. Schedule TBD.
- Captains: Margaret Myskowski, Marielle Chamberlain, Grant Olson, David Petzold.
Summer Running T-shirts
- Awarded for 2019 CC team runners logging summer miles (Memorial Day through the day before the first day of official CC practice).
- See https://www.homeschool-life.com/2515/custom/69481 for requirements.
Official Season: August 12 - October 25, 2019 (or so)
- Junior High racing season is slightly shorter. Practices after their last race are optional, but JH'ers are required to attend the last official day of practice (uniform returns, end-of-season survey, etc.).
- Varsity State qualifiers go longer (November--see Team Calendar).
- Mark your calendar with post-season meet dates to support your teammates who qualify!
Practice Attendance Requirements
- Cross country is a team sport, and the team performs its best when everyone is present. Practice affects team unity, morale, and success. You are expected to be at all practices and meets on time and for the duration unless prior arrangements have been made well in advance with the head coach.
- If you anticipate regular absences, contact the coaches before you register to determine if this program will work with your schedule.
- We only require practice attendance 4x/week; but we expect JV/Varsity (high school) athletes to train at least 5x/week, which will require at least one day of running an assigned workout on your own and logging your completed workout on Running2Win. See Team Handbook for details.
NEW! 2019 Practice Schedule
- Mondays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. @Swansons' (near Hanover, MN)
- Tuesdays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. @Hanover City Hall/Settler’s Park (11250 5th St NE, Hanover)
- Wednesdays: work out on your own as assigned (required); we will practice on occasional Wednesdays (4:30 - 6:00 P.M.) before Thursday meets (see Team Calendar for dates/locations)
- Thursdays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. @Hanover City Hall/Settler’s Park (11250 5th St NE, Hanover)
- Saturdays 8:00 - 10:00 A.M. @Swansons'
Note: The spring track & field schedule will be different due to daylight and facility needs.
- See Team Calendar for schedule--subject to change! Do not print this in May and expect it to look the same in October. :)
- Meets typically end by sunset.
- JH, JV, and Varsity runners race at each meet unless otherwise noted. The level at which you compete at meets will depend on your attendance, performance, and completing and logging your assigned workouts.
- MSHSL RULES EMPHASIS: JV/Varsity athletes may only compete in events that match their race distance (i.e., 5K fun runs) before Labor Day. After that, during the CC season, the event must be at least 1K different in length. We recommend not racing outside CC during the regular season.
- Don't miss it! Each athlete will be individually recognized and honored for their contribution to the team.
- Typically held the first Friday evening the weekend after the State meet.
- Families with quiet siblings welcome. :)
- Potluck. RSVP to Banquet Team Leader. See Team Calendar.
Watch the Team Calendar for updates!