2021 Track & Field Information & Schedule
NOTE: Space is limited for each squad, but we do not have tryouts. We love new athletes!
Important dates (subject to change as we receive information from the MSHSL):
- Current team members will be given priority registration beginning 8:00 A.M. Monday, January 25, 2021.
A link will be sent via email.
- New team members will have the opportunity to register beginning Friday, January 29.
Contact us in advance to let us know that you're interested in participating, so we can let you know if space might be available. We will send you a link to the online forms when new-member registration opens.
- Mandatory team registration & orientation meeting: Monday, February 8.
See Team Calendar for details.
COVID-19 Expectations & Protocols
- Conducting and participating in sports programs in the 2020-21 school year is highly challenging and requires a great commitment by all team families. Before you register, please carefully consider the patience, flexibility, and attention to detail required.
- More space is required for pods and individuals, thereby limiting our numbers, especially when considering the likely need to move indoors at times due to the weather. Waiting lists are expected. See the registration priority list here.
- Most facilities' policies have changed regarding indoor rentals. Therefore, at this time, the plan is to meet in barns (sand arenas, haylofts, large storage sheds, etc.) for indoor warmups/cooldowns during winter weather.
- COVID-19 modifications and policies as we know them for track & field can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_ecN-YbqXxXEDAS9S_Vuj9UcmB5gDkmwf3fXh4K3xkI
Track & Field Events Offered
- Sprints, mid- and long-distance running, relays, hurdles, throws (shot/discus). Horizontal jumps (long/triple) TBD.
- JV/Varsity running events span distances from 100m to 3200m (2 mile).
- Junior high races go up to the 1600m (1 mile).
All coaches meet MSHSL training requirements. See also information contained under the "About Us" tab in the menu bar.
- Kirk Swanson (MSHSL Certified Head Coach, NFHS Certified Interscholastic Coach, Sprints/hurdles)
- Jennifer Swanson (Athletic Director, Assistant Coach - Distance)
- Bob Hutchinson (Assistant Coach and Lead Junior High)
- Mike Becker (Assistant Coach - Throws)
Pre-season attendance is optional. Captains' practices do not count toward your attendance requirements.
- Normally, these are held the two weeks preceding the first day of the official season (schedule TBD by captains).
This year (2020-21) all captains' practices have been put on hold until further notice (due COVID-19).
- Captains: Luke Swanson, Grant Becker, Sebastian Michael. Girls TBD.
Official Season (subject to change as the 2020-21 school year progresses):
March 29 (first day of practice) - June 19, 2021 (State meet)
Spring in Minnesota means unpredictable weather.
Sports in COVID-19-era Minnesota means unpredictable schedules. Prepare to be flexible!
- Varsity Section and State qualifiers go longer than others depending on individual advancement (see Team Calendar).
Mark your calendar with post-season meet dates to support your teammates who qualify!
- Junior High season is shorter (mid May).
The junior high program is offered on a year-by-year basis and is dependent on coaching availability, facility space, meet opportunities, etc.
Practice Attendance Requirements
- You are expected to be at all practices and meets on time and for the duration unless prior arrangements have been made well in advance with the head coach. If you anticipate regular absences, contact the coaches before you register. Track and Field is a team sport, and the team performs its best when everyone is present. Practice affects team unity, morale, and success. Your teammates need you!
- Practice attendance is required 4x/week.
- JV/Varsity (high school) athletes are required to train 5x/week (competitive Varsity athletes 6x/week), which will require at least one day of running an assigned workout on your own (and logging your completed workout on Running2Win) and/or attending optional practices when offered.
- Running-only shoes are required of all athletes, regardless of specialty. See Team Handbook for details.
2021 Practice Schedule (*TENTATIVE*)
Due to COVID-19 quarantine risks, we will be outdoors as much as possible.
Because of indoor facility rental restrictions, we could be meeting in barns (haylofts, sand arenas, large storage sheds, etc.).
- Mondays 6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
- Early season (typically 4-6 weeks): TBD as close to Hanover as we can find
- After the snow/ice clears off the track (park in the upper Stadium West lot): @Rockford High School*
- Tuesdays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. TBD as close to Hanover as we can find.
- Wednesday practices will be required before Thursday JV/Varsity meets. See Team Calendar.
Otherwise "Flexible Wednesdays" can be on your own (required Day 5 training) or with us, location TBD, at/near Hanover.
- 4:30 - 6:00 P.M. through 4/14; 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. beginning 4/21. Stay as long as you can.
- Not held every week--Watch the Team Calendar. Flexible Wednesdays count toward your early-season "coach led" requirements but do not count toward your in-person cumulative Attendance requirements unless they are required pre-meet practices.
- Thursdays 6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
- Early season (typically 4-6 weeks): TBD as close to Hanover as we can find.
- After the snow/ice clears off the track: @Rockford High School*
- Fridays 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. TBD TBD as close to Hanover as we can find.
Note: there are a few Fridays that we meet later in the evening so that we can get onto the track. See Calendar.
*On-the-track practices are pending contract approval with Rockford; we typically do not get confirmation until February.
Having said that, we have been using this facility for several years and do not expect a problem.
Due to space constraints, if practice must move fully indoors and space is an issue, JH practice may be canceled.
- We have no guarantees for meets in the 2020-21 school year (due to COVID-19).
We will do our best to find outside competition, but we might have to get creative on an intra-squad basis.
- See Team Calendar for schedule (subject to change).
- The events in which you compete at meets will depend on your attendance, performance, and completing and logging your assigned workouts.
- High school track meets can last until 9:00 P.M.; junior high meets are shorter.
- Junior highers are welcome to attend JV/Varsity meets and vice versa, but they are not required to.
No practices will be held on JV/Varsity meet days. JV/Varsity runners might have practice on JH meet days but will be excused from practice if assisting a JH meet. However, they must complete and log the prescribed workout that day.
Don't miss it! Each athlete is individually recognized and honored for their contribution to the team. See Team Calendar for date.
Watch the Team Calendar for updates!