2023 Track & Field Information & Schedule
NOTE: Space is limited for each squad, but we do not have tryouts. We love new athletes!
The junior high track & field program will be phasing out after the 2022 season. We remain committed to provide cross country for grades 7-12 and track & field for grades 9-12. In the transition period, those who participated on the track & field team in the 2022 season (e.g., 2022 team 7th graders of eligible MSHSL member schools) will be invited to participate as 8th graders in the 2023 season.
- Current team members will be given priority registration beginning Tuesday, December 6, 2022.
A link will be sent via email.
- New team members will have the opportunity to register beginning Monday, December 12, 2022.
Contact us in advance to let us know that you're interested in participating, so we can let you know if space might be available. We will send you a link to the online forms when new-member registration opens.
- Mandatory team registration & orientation meeting (registration closes):
Thursday, January 19, 2023 @Hanover City Hall.
This is a combination of paperwork management and a group meeting.
See Team Calendar for details.
Track & Field Events Offered
- Sprints and hurdles, mid- and long-distance running, and relays. Running events span distances from 100m to 3200m (2 mile).
- Jumps (long/triple/high)TBD. If offered, jumpers will be primarily sprinters and train accordingly. No throws (shot/discus) or pole vault.
All coaches meet MSHSL training requirements.
- Kirk Swanson (MSHSL Certified Head Coach, NFHS Certified Interscholastic Coach, Sprints/hurdles)
- Jennifer Swanson (Athletic Director, Assistant Coach - Distance)
- Tim Winters (Assistant Coach)
- Cory Peterman (Assistant Coach - Sprints/Jumps/Hurdles)
Pre-season attendance is optional. Captains' practices do not count toward your attendance requirements.
- These may be held the two weeks preceding the first day of the official season (schedule TBD by captains).
- Captains: Maria Jose Plotts, Grace Hutchinson.
March 13 (first day of practice) - June 8-10, 2022 (State meet)
- Varsity Section and State qualifiers go longer than others depending on individual advancement (see Team Calendar for regular meet schedule). Mark your calendar with post-season meet dates to support your teammates who qualify!
Practice Attendance Requirements
- You are expected to be at all practices and meets on time and for the duration unless prior arrangements have been made well in advance with the head coach. If you anticipate regular absences, contact the coaches before you register. Track and Field is a team sport, and the team performs its best when everyone is present. Practice affects team unity, morale, and success. Your teammates need you!
- Practice attendance is required 4-5x/week depending on the meet schedule.
- Athletes are required to train 5x/week (competitive Varsity athletes 6x/week), which will require at least one day of running an assigned workout on your own (and logging your completed workout on Running2Win) and/or attending optional practices when offered.
2023 Practice Schedule (*TENTATIVE*)
We practice outdoors as much as possible. Be flexible, and dress prepared!
Changes for 2023: (1) Location swap (Mondays/Tuesdays) and (2) more Tuesday track nights than Mondays.
See Team Calendar.
- Monday 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. *or* 6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
- Tuesday 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. *or* 6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
- Required before Thursday JV/Varsity meets.
- See Team Calendar, but generally will be held 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. @Hanover City Hall/Settler’s Park.
- When not the day before a meet, work out on your own as assigned (required Day 5 training).
- Required before Thursday JV/Varsity meets.
- Thursday 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. *or* 6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
- Early season (typically 4-6 weeks): 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. @Church of Ss. Peter & Paul
- After the snow/ice clears off the track: 6:00 - 8:00 P.M. @Rockford High School*
- Friday 4:00 - 6:00 P.M. @Hanover City Hall/Settler’s Park.
Note: some seasons, we add a few Friday evenings on the track, but we do not anticipate that this year. See Team Calendar.
*On-the-track practices are pending contract approval with Rockford; we typically do not get confirmation until February.
Having said that, we have been using this facility for several years and do not expect a problem.
- We expect to have 7-8 JV/Varsity meets plus the post season (Subsections/Sections/State). See Team Calendar for schedule (subject to change).
- The events in which you compete at meets will depend on your attendance, performance, and completing and logging your assigned workouts.
- Meets usually conclude between 8:00 - 9:00 P.M.
- Don't miss it! Each athlete is individually recognized and honored for their contribution to the team.
- Typically held the Sunday evening after after the Section meet.
- Families with quiet younger/older siblings welcome. :)
- Potluck. RSVP to Banquet Team Leader. See Team Calendar.
Watch the Team Calendar for updates!