Statement of Faith
SHINE believes that all final authority is found in Scripture.
- We believe the Bible to be the verbally inspired and only infallible Word of God, inerrant in the autographs (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:20-21).
- We believe God is one being who eternally exists as three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. All of the persons are equal in power and glory (Matthew 28:19, 2 Corinthians 13:14).
- We believe Jesus Christ is fully God and man (John 1:1, 14), born of a virgin (Matthew 1:18), sinless in His life (Hebrews 4:15). He died on a cross as a substitution for sinful men (Hebrews 9:15). He rose bodily from the grave (John 20:1-9, 24-31, Acts 2:24) and now reigns with the Father (Acts 2:33, Heb. 10:12). He will return visibly and personally to the earth both in salvation and judgment (Acts 1:11, Hebrews 9:28, Matthew 24:35).
- We believe all humans are sinful by nature (Romans 3:23, 5:12) and can only be forgiven by repentance and statement of trust in Jesus as Lord and Savior (John 3:16), brought about by the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5-7).
- We believe in the continuing ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life (Romans 8:1- 17).
- We reject the anti-Christian beliefs of secular humanism, including the general theory of evolution, one-world government, government-mandated sex education, government-mandated parenting courses, modern feminist ideology, abortion, and the promotion of homosexuality as an alternative, acceptable lifestyle.
- We believe that the family is the basic governmental, social, and spiritual unit created by God. In it, each child learns self-government, social relationships, and develops a relationship with the Creator and Savior (Ephesians 6:1-3; Colossians 3:18-20).
- We believe marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union. It is intended by God to be a permanent relationship and a witness to the world of the relationship between Christ and His Church.
- We believe that sexual intimacy was created by God and intended for a man and a woman who are married to one another. Any sexual activity outside of this exclusive union is considered a sin. (Genesis 2:18-25, 1 Corinthians 6:18, 1 Corinthians 7:2-5, Ephesians 5:21-33, Hebrews 13:4)
Par Parental Rights and Responsibility in Education
- We believe the ultimate responsibility for the education of children belongs to parents (Deuteronomy 4-9; 6:1-25; 4:1-4). We believe this is an inalienable right given by God, which the State cannot create, destroy, or alter. Authority for such training can be delegated to other forms of education; however, the ultimate responsibility for this education remains with the parents.
- We believe that the government, at all levels, should respect the right of parents to choose the academic alternative of home education. We believe that parents who have chosen this educational alternative are accountable to discharge these duties in an honorable and responsible manner to the attaining of educational excellence and good citizenship. We believe education in the home to be the best form of education.
Nat Nature of Education
- We believe that all education is religious in nature since one’s view of the world and life is involved in teaching (Prov. 2:1-8; 3:1-2; 6:20-23; Matt. 28:18-20). Every discipline of knowledge, whether it be subjects such as mathematics, science, or history will have as its final reference point a theistic or humanistic view of reality (Colossians 1:15-20 and 2:8-15), and there is no neutral academic discipline.