South Lake Home Educators
Welcome to South Lake Home Educators! Whether you are new to homeschooling or a seasoned veteran, our desire is to serve you by providing resources, activities, encouragement, and events to enhance your homeschooling experience.
Mission Statement with a Purpose
SLHE is a volunteer-led support group providing resources for educational activities, communication, encouragement, fellowship, and information to homeschool families and to those interested in homeschooling.
SLHE is a support group existing to encourage home educating families in the task of teaching their children at home. The group is administered, according to Biblical principles, by a volunteer Board of Directors for its various functions and activities.
Co-Op Mission Statement with a Purpose
SLHE Co-op is an activity of the SLHE support group. We seek to provide a whole-group experience for students in a positive environment of respect, diligence, and high standards. We rely on each family to contribute to the success of the co-op on a weekly basis. We hold all participants to a standard of behavior consistent with conservative family values.
2020-2021 Board of Directors
President: Dallis Wehr- email@example.com
Vice President: Kathy Pleasants- firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Christina Skelton- email@example.com
Treasurer: Sarah Cerilli- firstname.lastname@example.org
Member at Large: Deirdre Harrington- email@example.com
Member at Large: Jodi De Rosa- firstname.lastname@example.org
Member at Large: Marisa Leslie- email@example.com
Member in Training: Rachel Little- firstname.lastname@example.org
The majority of our members register to homeschool with their individual counties. A number of families are enrolled in private schools existing primarily for home educating families. We are open to any home schooling family needing support, despite race, creed, or religion, though most of our members are Christians. We expect our members to be in compliance with the homeschool laws of the state unless they have religious or constitutional objections.
SLHE offers numerous activities outlined in the following pages for grades K-12. Attendance is not required, so families can participate as they choose. Our activities are organized on a volunteer basis by individual parents who are members of our support group. Each activity requires planning and coordination, as well as many helpers to see it through successfully. Please volunteer in an area of interest to your family. We operate on a volunteer basis therefore if we don’t have enough volunteers for an event, it has to be deleted from the schedule. If there is an event that you would like to see included on our schedule, please contact a member of the Board of Directors.
There is an annual membership fee for SLHE covering a traditional school year, September 1st through August 31st. All SLHE memberships expire on August 31st of each year. Florida Parent-Educators Association membership is offered at a discounted rate to our membership as a separate fee. Co-op fees are not part of membership fees. Periodically, there may be additional fees for individual field trips, drama club, etc.
SLHE encourages participation and welcomes ideas and suggestions from its members for activities and events. These include field trips, co-ops, guest speakers, and any other events that would be beneficial to the homeschool community and our support group. The Board of Directors must approve all activities sponsored through SLHE.
This support group consists of home educating parents joining together to share their talents, resources, and time in order to enhance and enrich the educational experiences of their children.
Parental involvement is a necessity to avoid a deteriorating program and lost opportunities for our children. A support group also provides a source of advice and encouragement for the parent-teacher.
The Board of Directors may revise Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct at any time. As revisions are made, membership will be given notification of any changes. Expect changes as SLHE grows in membership and maturity. Please keep a copy of Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct on file for future reference at any time.
South Lake Home Educators Policies and Procedures 2020-2021
The SLHE Board of Directors serves to provide direction, information and organization to the group. It is responsible for maintaining the overall policy and direction of the organization.
- The Board of Directors shall consist of 4 officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer which comprise the Executive Committee. One or more members at large shall be appointed to the Board by the Board as the Executive Committee deems necessary.
- The Board of Directors shall be required to sign the Statement of Faith to ensure Christian leadership of SLHE.
- The Board of Directors shall be a self-perpetuating entity. Current Board members will choose members to train to follow them in their offices.
- Members are eligible for consideration as a board member when they have been an active member of SLHE for no less than two year and have been a coordinator, or co op teacher in good standing, for no less than one year. In addition to eligibility, prospective board members must complete an interview with current members of the Board of Directors.
Members will have the following provided as part of their dues:
- Membership to SLHE with all rights as members including Support / Encouragement/ and Fellowship of other homeschooling families.
- Membership to the Florida Parent-Educators Association (FPEA) at a discounted rate.
- SLHE membership includes a members' only website which also sends emails to inform parents of upcoming events, any field trips, and other educational opportunities which will provide information and communication with other SLHE members. Members are encouraged to set up their own family pages on our web site.
- SLHE may arrange meeting places for larger group activities such as end of the year standardized testing and Promotion Night.
- SLHE will coordinate the dates of field trips, events, and co-ops planned by its members, parent support and standardized testing.
- SLHE members may invite up to one outside guest to special events such as dances, Prom, and other coordinated activities according to the coordinator and/or board member’s discretion.
- SLHE provides an online directory for communicating with other South Lake Home Educators families. This is not to be used for solicitation or business.
- SLHE will provide an online handbook describing existing opportunities, Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct, information about Florida’s homeschooling laws, and other helpful information.
Membership is open to anyone interested in home education and who agrees to abide by SLHE’s Policies and Procedures. The Board of Directors reserves the right to deny membership. Membership may also be terminated if a member no longer meets the qualifications. The qualifications for membership are as follows:
- Each family is expected to read and agree to respect the purpose of SLHE, read and agree with the Policies, Procedures, & Expected Conduct, and complete online Membership Registration. If you have a child aged ten years or older, or will turn ten during the current membership year, please have them read and agree to abide by Youths’ Expected Conduct.
- Each family pays a nonrefundable fee to cover our combined expenses such as building rental fees, insurance, paper products, bank fees, postage, printing, and supplies. Membership in SLHE also entitles families to a discounted Florida Parent-Educators Association membership. Families choosing to participate will assume optional expenses (field trips, etc.). Membership fees should be received by August 31st. Anyone not having paid by August 31st will be considered delinquent and lose access to the website.
- Each member is required to serve as a volunteer in at least one of our activities that benefit SLHE as a whole. New members will be asked to serve alongside an experienced member.
- Each family agrees to uphold and model a high standard of courtesy and dress appropriate to the occasion at functions. Members are encouraged to wear their SLHE T-Shirts during all field trips to help identify group members.
- Each family agrees to maintain an attitude of cooperation so that everyone can enjoy events.
- Each family agrees to respect the schedules of volunteers who establish deadlines in order to offer activities. Deadlines are set according to the preparations required for the activity, and are announced with adequate time for response. Please be considerate; don’t ask for special treatment because you missed a deadline. This includes prompt payment of fees. For example field trip fees or testing fees, etc.
- Parents must be present and responsible whenever their children are attending or participating in a function.
- In the case of a student drop-off event, the parent must complete a Release of Liability/Assumption of Risk form and be available via phone. The student is under the authority of the adults in charge and should abide by the Expected Conduct. Adults present are expected to supervise.
- In the event of any facility damage, the family of the person involved is responsible for repair or reparation.
- Each family agrees that if an immediate family member has a contagious illness, the family will refrain from attending SLHE activities until the contagion has been cleared by a physician or until the person has been fever free or free of symptoms of illness for a minimum of twenty-four hours
- The South Lake Home Educators name is incorporated. As such, no member shall start a webpage, social networking site or photo sharing site in the name of SLHE or South Lake Home Educators without Board approval. Any such site or page established without Board approval is in violation of law and member/members that created them will be asked to remove them.
Keep in mind that the quality of your SLHE experience is directly related to your involvement in the group. Members are required to participate in some service to the group. There are many opportunities available throughout the year. Please look over the Service Opportunities/Job Descriptions section of the handbook. Please let the Board of Directors know in what area you can serve.
A copy of Policies & Procedures and Expected Conduct will be available on the web site. You must check off each box to agree in order to complete Membership Registration.
By agreeing with a statement, all members and children will behave in a manner consistent with Expected Conduct at all SLHE meetings and sponsored events. Failure to do so could result in dismissal of membership with SLHE.
I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the above mentioned policies and procedures.