Welcome to Kankakee Christian Home Educators (KCHE)
Kankakee Christian Home Educators (KCHE) is a support group with many members from Kankakee County and surrounding counties.
Many of our events have a limit to the number of participants, including our Learning Co-Op. By joining our support group, you are not guaranteed a place in our events. Many are first come, first serve in the sign up process.
If you would like general information about homeschooling in any state, you can find a lot of information at the website of Home School Legal Defense Association. Under the Quick Navigation tab you will be able to click on your state of interest. HSLDA is a membership organization, but they will provide general home schooling information.
Homeschool information and support for Illinois homeschool families can also be found at the Illinois Christian Home Educators website: http://iche.org.
Please feel free to browse our open pages for more info or contact [email protected].
If you would like to become part of our group, click on the 'person' link that is in the upper right hand corner of this screen next to the 'home' icon.
KCHE exists with the following purposes
- To represent the homeschool community in a manner that honors Jesus Christ.
- To encourage homeschool families in their journeys to educate their children.
- To provide an atmosphere for exchange of teaching techniques and curriculum information.
- To provide family, educational and group activities for our families.
KCHE Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the infallible Word of God, the supreme and final authority for all faith and life.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, His bodily resurrection, His ascension and His imminent bodily return in power and glory.
- We believe that man was created in the image of God but fell into sin and is therefore lost, and only those who put their faith in Jesus Christ alone can be saved.
- We believe that salvation is the gift of God brought to man by grace and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose substitutionary death on the cross paid the penalty for man’s sin.
- We believe the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to convict men, indwell, guide, instruct and empower the believer for godly living and service.
- We believe that marriage is ordained by God, is between one man and one woman as set forth in the Bible, and is intended to be a picture of Jesus Christ and the Church.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers through our common faith in Jesus Christ and that individual doctrinal differences which may exist should not hinder the unity of Christian home educators.
As support for our homeschool families, KCHE provides activities for both learning and socialization. This list is only a sample of our activities.
Learning Co-op: For ten weeks in the fall and spring, KCHE has a teaching co-op. We meet 1 day each week in a classroom setting. Classes presented in the past include science, art, history, literature, music, gym, home economics, math, yearbook, journalism, civics. Classes and costs change per semester and are determined by interest and teacher availability.
Field Trips: tours at local businesses, Exploration Station activities, Nature Club at local parks, Lincoln's Home & museum tour in Springfield, Fair Oaks field trip, Underground Railroad tour, Grist Mill tour etc.
Social Activities: bowling, ice skating, Valentine and Christmas parties, family picnics, field day, apple orchard apple picking. For Parents only: Moms' Night Out, parent lounge at Co-op, Back-to-school potluck.
We also have school picture day and a yearbook.