F.I.S.H. BOOK SALE - MAY 3, 2014 FROM 8:00-12:00 AT BELL SHOALS CHURCH (ANNEX PARKING LOT)
FAMILIES INSTRUCTING STUDENTS AT HOME (F.I.S.H.) KICKOFF JAMBOREE
When: THURSDAY – JUNE 5, 2014 6:00-9:00pm
Where: Bell Shoals Baptist Church (BSBC), 2102 Bell Shoals Rd, Brandon, FL 33511 (Jamboree will be in The Point located on Overhill Dr).
F.I.S.H., a ministry of BSBC, is a Christian Homeschool Encouragement Group. Our goal is to provide an environment centered on Christ and to glorify God through encouraging one another to teach our children in the way God has directed us. F.I.S.H. is an encouragement group and is not intended to take the place of core curriculum, which the parents are responsible for.
F.I.S.H. offers a variety of volunteer driven activities to include:
- Hearts at Home - a homemaking club for girls involving sewing and cooking
- Friday COOP – parent driven classes covering a variety of subjects for pre-k thru high school
- Weekly PE and Park Day
- Chess Club
- Choir, Band, and Hand Bells
- Archery Program (this club started November 2013 and in February, we competed in the State NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program) Tournament for the first time. The team finished in 8thplace with high school archer David King leading the way with a score of 263).
- JA Biztown - a hands-on experience to help young people understand the economics of life
- Missions Program – finding different ways to serve the community and share the love of Christ (events have included water distribution, filling bags for orphans in Haiti, and collecting and distributing turkeys and food for Thanksgiving to needy families.
- Family Fellowship Events (Back to School Bash, Roller Skate Night, Family Picnic)
- High School Fellowship Events (Missions, Spirit Night, Senior Night, Open Gym, etc)
- Crystal Springs
- Nature’s Classroom
- Field Trips
- Breakfast Club for Mom’s
F.I.S.H. also has sports programs for children in 4th grade and up. We play over a dozen sports and participate in 3 different groups:
- TBCAL (Tampa Bay Christian Athletic League - for 4th through 8th grades) – F.I.S.H. plays 6 different sports during the school year against approximately a dozen, mostly Christian schools in the area. In 2012-13 FISH became the first homeschool group to win the TBCAL All Around Team Championship. This year has also been successful:
- FISH teams won both the JV and Varsity volleyball championships.
- In Cross Country, the Girls’ team took third place in the championship meet, while Julia Rohm took the individual first place trophy.
- Our JV and Varsity soccer teams both won their championships.
- Our golf team completed an undefeated season by winning the championship match on March 2. Over the course of a six-week season, the team averaged winning each match by 23 strokes.
- In flag football, the Varsity team went undefeated and was looking to defend the championship it won last year while the JV team made it to the championship game for the 3rd consecutive year.
- JV & Varsity basketball for girls and boys start March 24th.
- SCC (Suncoast Christian Conference – for high school students) – F.I.S.H. has played HS Volleyball & Basketball in the SCC for the past 4 years and we have now added Golf and Cross Country this year.
- Our boys team capped an undefeated season by winning the SCC Tournament Championship
- Our girls also capped an undefeated season by winning their 2nd SCC Tournament Championship. This made back to back undefeated seasons for the girls, who MaxPreps ranked as the #13 team in the Tampa Bay Area.
- The JV girl’s team finished the regular season in first place.
- The Boys team capped off an undefeated season by beating Inverness Christian 70-57 in the championship basketball game held at Clearwater Christian College. The boys were headed to the 23rd Annual National Christian Home School Basketball Championship to be held this week (March 10-14, 2014) in Springfield, Missouri when this article was submitted. Please pray for their safety and that the team glorifies God in everything they do. This team really came together this year. It has been a joy to watch them. A big thank you to Andrew Mull and his coaching staff along to the team for their hard work.
- The Girls team reached the SCC Championship game for the second year in a row.
- Our first golf and cross country teams are scheduled to begin play in April.
- FCAPPS (Florida Christian Association of Private & Parochial Schools – for high school students) – We participate in 8 man tackle football as well as boys and girls soccer.
- Our football team finished the regular season 9-2 and qualified for the playoffs, something they have done every year since joining the league in 2009. Spring training starts May 1st as they begin preparing for the season opener on August 21st. The team is currently in the process of raising the funds for the required replacement of all football helmets. We want to congratulate one of our receivers, Grant Simms, who was invited to try out for the US National Team.
- Our boys and girls soccer teams are gearing up to defend the championships they have won each of the past two years.
Our yearbook committee is busy getting the yearbook finalized and ready for distribution at the Jamboree.
We’re looking forward to our upcoming Creative Arts Festival (March 21), the May 15 class promotion ceremony, the May 17 senior graduation, and annual book sale. We want to THANK all of our volunteers and parents for making this year a success! This summer we will be holding several camps including, basketball, volleyball, conversational Spanish along with several others currently in the planning stages. Planning for the 2014-2015 school year has begun. You can register at the F.I.S.H. Jamboree for $50 (the price goes up to $60 after the Jamboree).
Our home school group is directed by a Leadership Board which consists of several families who volunteer to represent the members of our group.
To access the full features of this web site you must be a current member of F.I.S.H. If you have not applied for membership since our Kickoff Jamboree in June 2013 you are not a current member. If you are interested in joining our group:
1. Please complete the all forms located under registration forms at the top of the page. You will need one Activity Participant (Medical Release) per student and adult, notarized.
2. You can bring or mail the forms to BSBC, there is a notary located in their office. Bell Shoals Baptist Church, 2102 Bell Shoals Rd, Brandon, FL 33511
3. Two weeks after you turn in your paperwork, go to the website and apply for web access. You will be asked to fill out information about your family. A request will automatically be sent to the web administrator.
4. You will receive an email within 48 hours letting you know that you have been approved and can sign on to all the benefits of the website.
Registration is a two part process: one is paperwork and the other is computerized! Both parts must be completed to be a member. Paperwork and payment first and then computer access.
If you have questions about how to join FISH, email firstname.lastname@example.org.