New to Homeschooling
For you who are new to homeschooling, the road ahead can look a bit daunting – so many choices for curriculum, so many options for activities, so many ways to structure and schedule and teach….how do you know what’s best for you? Take heart – GWCHE is here to support and encourage new home schoolers!
How to Start Homeschooling in Texas
1. Officially withdraw your student from their current school if they are already enrolled. https://thsc.org/how-to-homeschool/#step3withdraw
There is no need to contact the school district if your child is not enrolled in public school.
2. Provide legitimate instruction to the child.
3. Choose your curriculum. (Look at the Helpful Links on this website for some ideas.)
4. Curriculum must cover at least the following subjects: reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.
"Good citizenship" is a broad subject and can be covered in a course of good character/morals, teaching to be a good private citizen in the community, etc. Teaching U.S. and Texas history, government (theoretical and practical), the Pledge of Allegiance, and similar activities will also help meet this requirement.
5. Begin enjoying learning together!
Other Helpful Tips for Homeschooling
Decide on a Yearly Schedule
Develop a Routine
Home Schooling more than 1 child at a time
Get involved in outside activities-keep balance – don’t over commit
Join a support group for moral and informational support