Florida Home Education Definition
STEPS TO COMPLY WITH HOME EDUCATION ENACTMENT STATUTE:
- Send a letter of intent to the Superintendent of Schools (see sample letter here).
1. Include only the names, address, and birth dates of those children in the program. Do not assign a grade level.
2. Include only children who are at least 6 years old by February 1 until age 16. If you continue homeschooling through high school, it is recommended not to terminate.
3. This letter must be filed within 30 days of establishing the home-education program.
4. Please terminate your program by letter if you should move out of Palm Beach County or place a child in formal school. A Notice of Termination form is available under the New to Homeschool link.
- Maintain records as delineated. These must be kept for two years. The Superintendent may request (by a 15-day written notice) to see these records.
1. Maintain a portfolio (Not all their work, but just sampling of children's work.).
2. Maintain a log (parent's record of teaching and list of reading materials).
III. File an annual evaluation with the Superintendent choosing one of the following:
1. Teacher evaluation: you choose the teacher (he/she must have a valid regular Florida certificate). An evaluation includes a review of the portfolio and an interview with the child. A list of evaluators is available under the Testing Evaluations link.
2. Any nationally-normed student achievement test administered by a certified teacher of your choice
3. A state student assessment test
4. A psychological evaluation
5. Any valid measurement tool agreed upon by both parent and the Superintendent.