Required Class Materials
Supplies needed for all YES Writing classes
- Two inch 3 ring binder… yes, a big one! It will be stuffed by the end of the year!
- Five tabbed dividers. Be sure they are tabbed.
- Notebook paper. Keep an eye on this throughout the year so you don't run out.
- Pens and pencils.
- Highlighter in light color: pink, yellow, orange
- Zippered pocket with holes to put in notebook to keep all these little things!
- Thesaurus in dictionary form. Find one that has large enough print that your child can easily read it. The more words the better. Electronics are okay but frankly they have few words and the students don’t really learn how to use a thesaurus! Some really good ones are: Roget’s Super Thesaurus by Marc McCutchen; The Synonym Finder by J.I. Rodale; New Webster puts out one that is both a dictionary and a thesaurus! Find one with lots of words and that has print your child can easily read… and is in DICTIONARY form.
Parents: Each student needs a parent or editor who will proofread his/her work each week (both the rough and final drafts), and give advice, correction, and assistance when needed. This course cannot be done just in the time I meet with them. It takes a parent at home helping. This is NOT the time to let your child sink or swim. Help them to succeed by checking in daily on their progress – asking to see finished work, proofreading drafts alongside the checklist, etc.
Supplies needed for specific courses: