ABOUT DESERET HOMESCHOOLERS
The mission of Deseret Homeschoolers is to make opportunities for families involved in the intellectual, social, and spiritual education of their own children to connect with other families involved in similar efforts.
Deseret Homeschoolers is meant to be of interest to LDS families involved in the education of their own children, although membership is not limited to LDS families, nor is a statement of faith required for participation.
Deseret Homeschoolers is meant to provide connections, share information, develop leadership skills and spiritual commitment in youth, and help families enhance their homeschooling experience.
Deseret Homeschoolers is an association. As such, the focus of activities will be based on what the participating families are seeking in their relationships with others. Participating families are expected to be involved in serving, leading, and helping to make activities happen. Parents will be totally responsible for the safety and behavior of their own children when participating in any Deseret Homeschoolers activity.
Code of Conduct
- All members are to be courteous and respectful of everyone, regardless of differences.
- Use calm, clear, and honest communication to resolve problems.
- Take care of your own property and respect others’ property.
- Dress appropriately for all expected activities.
- Parents will be responsible for and in control of their children at all times.
- Parents will discuss appropriate behavior with their children prior to an event. Teach children appropriate boundaries and behavior respective to each unique setting e.g. Theatre Play, vs Speaker Presentation, vs Party, etc.
- Families are to leave all events better than they found them. Offer to help clean-up and respect the home, premises and/or facility.
- Any music, magazines, books, art, or other materials should be "PG or G". Please be sensitive that what one family has chosen as acceptable may not be acceptable to others and vice versa.
- A minimum of two adults per room are required to be present as responsible parties. Whenever this is not possible the doors to any enclosed room must remain open.
- Refrain from engaging in any form of inappropriate behavior towards children or exposing them to any such behavior.
- Refrain from using alcohol, tobacco products, pornography, illegal drugs and weapons while participating in Deseret activities.
- The following behaviors are strictly prohibited and may result in loss of membership privileges: Physical violence, bullying, predatory grooming, sexual misconduct, oppressive and/or discriminatory behavior.
Deseret Homeschoolers of Southeast Texas is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization led by an executive council. The officers for the 2018-2019 school year are as follows:
Formed on January 1, 2006 by five Houston area homeschool families, Deseret was established to help families in the Greater Houston area find socialization and support.
Pictured from bottom to top:
Kent & Linda Nuttall
Ron & Julie Cluff
Lorell & Rachel Hathcock
Jason & Marissa Sutherland
Douglas (not pictured) and Bonita Magby