Home Educators Recreation and Enrichment Group (Updated August 2021)BY LAWS
Home Educators Recreation and Enrichment Group (HERE) is a Christian homeschool supportgroup serving the Greater Hampton Roads region of Virginia.
Article I–NameThe name ofthis organization is Home Educators Recreation and Enrichment Group (HERE).
Article II–MissionThe ministry of the HERE Group is to:
1.Bring honor and glory to God and Jesus Christ.
2.Provide enrichment, recreation, and fellowship opportunities which support, encourage,and build up the community of homeschool families in the Greater Hampton Roads area.“
3. "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
4. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
5. These commandments that I give you today are to be on yourhearts.
6. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walkalong the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Deuteronomy 6:4-7 NIV
Article III–Membership HERE is a Christian group open to all homeschool families, regardless of religious affiliation or profession of Christian faith.
1.Annual membership dues are paid per family and are non-refundable. The annual membership dues are set by the Board prior to the beginning of each year (August 1 toJuly 31). Membership dues are not tax-deductible.
2.Scholarships are available for member families on a needs basis and will be determinedby the Board of Officers.
3.Applicants must complete and sign the HERE Registration form for the current schoolyear and agree to the Membership Guidelinesas outlined therein. In summary, member families will be expected to uphold the mission of HERE, to behave in a respectful manner towards others at all times, and to release the HERE Group and any host church or facility from any liability.
4.Bylaws of the HERE Group must be made available to any member.
5.Each member family must support the ministry of the HERE Group by volunteering to help with events and activities sponsored by the group.
1.The Board is the primary governing body of the HERE Group and consists of theleadership positions designated as 3-5 Officers (President, Vice-President, Treasurer,Secretary, and Activities Coordinator) to oversee committees assigned for the needs of the group (see Articles V and VI).
2.The Board will meet regularly during the year.
3.Each board member must be a member of the HERE Group in good standing.
4.Each board member must profess a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and sign aStatement of Faith.
5.The Board will seek volunteers from the membership to fill vacant leadership positions. Each leader must be approved by majority vote of the Board.
6.Board members will serve an annual term starting July 1st and ending June 30th.
The President will
a) preside over Board meetings;
b) supervise and control all HERE business;
c) provide direction and support to those serving in leadership positions;
d) will act as secondary signatory on all HERE Group legal and financial business;
e) oversee calendar; and
f) seek ways get to know the group.
It is strongly recommended that the President have been a HERE member in good standing for a minimum of two years and have served previously in a leadership position on the Board.It is suggested that the President serve no more than two consecutive years. In the event the President is unable to complete her term, the Board will select a new President.
The Vice-President will perform all the duties of the President in the event that the President is unable to do so. The Vice-President will administer the HERE membership, and perform other duties as assigned by the President or the Board. The Vice President will support other board members as needed. It is recommended that the Vice-President have been a HERE member in good standing for a minimum of one year.
The Secretary will
a) keep the minutes of the proceedings of the Board;
b)be a custodian of records;
c) provide all correspondence required by the HERE Bylaws;and
d) perform other duties incident to the office of Secretary.
It is recommended that the Secretary have been a HERE member in good standing for a minimum of one year.
The Treasurer will
a) have charge and custody of and be responsible for all funds and securities of the HERE Group;
b) receive and give receipt for monies due and payable to the HERE Group from any source, and deposit all such monies in the name ofthe group in such banks, trust companies, or other depositories as selected by the Board; and
c) perform other duties incident to the office of Treasurer.
It is recommended that the Treasurer have been a HERE member in good standing for a minimum of one year.
The Activities Coordinator will closely work with the VicePresident to manage volunteers and would oversee the Educational Coordinator, Social/Support Coordinator, and Middle/High School Coordinator. The Activities Coordinator will also oversee the planning of any other events not already assigned.
Article VI–Sub Coordinators (Non-Board Positions)
1.Educational Event Coordinator–
The Educational Event Coordinator will oversee the planning of field trips and other educational events for the HERE Group (for additional details see Job Descriptions–Educational Event Coordinator).
2.Social/ Support Event Coordinator–
The Social and Support Coordinator will oversee the planning of annual celebrations for various holidays, park days, and parent support events (for additional detailssee JobDescriptions–Social and Support Coordinator).
3.Middle/High School Coordinator–
The Middle/High School Coordinator will oversee the planning of educational and social events geared specifically to member families with children in Grades 6 through 12 (for additional details see Job Descriptions–Middle/HighSchool Coordinator).
Article VII–Adoption and Amendment of Bylaws With the exception of Article VIII, which is irrevocable and not subject to amendment, theseBylaws will be adopted and thereafter amended only by a majority vote of the Board.Proposals to amend the Bylaws are to be submitted in writing to members of the Board and will be voted on by the Board at the next meeting.
Article VIII–Adoption and Amendment of Bylaws In the event that the HERE Group ceases to exist, any and all assets are to be donated to a nonprofit organization as voted on by the Board. Updated August 8, 2021 by Amy Walker President Approved by the HERE Board August 21, 2021
This next page is not part of the Formal Bylaws 8/9/21
- Job Descriptions Constructed and Compiled by Board Members, Spring 2014 Edited by Board August 2021 Coordinators a.) Educational Event Coordinator-The Educational Event Coordinator will oversee the planning of educational events to include field trips, PE and annual educational events. Coordinator will report volunteers for points and inform the board of a short event recap/ lessons learned. Duties may include or be delegated: Meet during the summer to brainstorm event and field trip ideas. Plan the allotted number of trips for the school year. Call possible field trip venue to setup each trip and make a point of contact. Call or email point of contact at trip site to confirm number attending, obtain payment (in the form of a check) from the HERE treasurer, be present at the field trip to check people in and make payment for the group, go onto the HERE website to type in the information for each trip. On the website: Set up each trip on calendar (view training video-clips); Type in details/description; Type in PayPal payment information; Type and send a reminder to attendees; attends the field trip or coordinate another adult to be the person accountable at the event. Select an Event Lead for each event and coordinating with this person to ensure that the event is carried out as intended. Events can include the following: Spelling Bee, Science/Educational Fair, Educational Showcase. (Duties for Physical Education Under Educational Event Coordinator): Contact Physical Education teacher in the summer to find out when Physical Education will begin, fees etc.; Contact Information-Mr. Randall String:[email protected] teacher/coach at WestHampton Community Center. Email or talk to him once a month at PE to discuss future classes,changes, holiday time off, etc.; send out email to remind HERE members to remember him during the holidays (group or individual gift); send out email updates for time/date changes orcancellations and startups.) b.) Social and Support Coordinator–The Social and Support Coordinator will oversee the planning of social events which may include annual/seasonal celebrations for various holidays, Park Days, Field Day, Used Curriculum Fair and Parents’ Night Out. Coordinator will report volunteers for points and inform the board of a short event recap/ lessons learned. Duties may include or be delegated : secure a venue for party; input party information into HERE Group Admin site; solicit volunteers for HERE’s Harvest, Christmas, Valentine’s and Easter parties to Lead or Co- Lead event, activities, crafts and educational contribution; coordinate a service project for each party; coordinate party menu; send out party announcements and reminders; ensure party planning remains within budget; collect party receipts and forward to the HERE treasurer,attends parties or coordinates another adult to be the person accountable the event. (Parents’ Night Out: Email or call members to ask for leads so they can earn points; update the websitewith current Parents’ Night Out information; send out initial email with Parents Night Out information for the month). c.)Middle/High School Coordinator–The Middle/High School Coordinator will oversee the planning of field trips, educational events, and fellowships geared specifically to member families with children in Grades 6-12. Duties: Coordinate monthly activities for teens, solicit adequate parent chaperones for teen events as applicable for each type of event; update HERE calendar with teen activities; send emails announcing and reminding members of teen events; obtain all supplies needed for teen activities; support parents of HERE teens as appropriate; attends teen events or coordinates another adult to be the person accountable at the event