When you’ll be absent
- Please begin coordinating a substitute as soon as you know you will not be in attendance.
- Contact your co-teacher and let them know of your absence.
- Post for subs in the Sub forum on the website.
- Leave a comment in the thread of each period you will need a sub. Please do not create a brand-new thread; this causes confusion and missed sub requests.
- Leave a specific class name. We have several classes that are similar in name or subject and simply saying “second period art” may not be enough information for your sub.
When you’re on the sub roster
- A new sub roster is posted by Monday afternoon.
- If you will not be available to sub because of your own absence, please let the Substitute Coordinator know as soon as you can.
- Check the list at least once during the week and again on Thursday if you have not already been asked to sub.
- If you are asked to sub, please reply and acknowledge that you are aware you will be subbing.
- New names are often added to the sub roster during the week, so make a note to check the list late Thursday or Friday morning to see if you’re needed.
- A list of subs will be posted by the check-in table on Friday mornings for you to check as well.
- Each week the coordinator will annotate their master list as to who was used and move them to the bottom of the list. Any subs not used will remain in line for the following week with more names added from the top of the master list. Please understand that some weeks we have more illnesses or people away and you may be asked to sub more than one week in a row. We appreciate your understanding and willingness when this occurs.
Last minute sub needs
- If you need a sub on Friday morning, please text the Substitute Coordinator or the Director. Both their numbers can be found in our members-only online directory and in the Sub Request Instructions post in the Sub form.
- If your family needs to leave co-op for any reason, the Hall Monitor will find someone to cover any classes you have left to teach.
What's expected of you as a sub?
- Help the remaining co-teacher run the class.
- When both class teachers are out, the substitute coordinator will send both subs a sub lesson plan that was provided by the regular teachers.
- Board games and organized free play are also acceptable as appropriate for the ages and interest of the class, so feel free to bring a game or two if you know you are in a class with another sub.