About the Biltmore Church Homeschool Ministry
A wonderful homeschool group thrives at Biltmore Church. Established in 1996, what started as a small group of 5 families has grown to nearly 200 families that make up our homeschool ministry today. Some families have many children and others have only one child; some have been homeschooling for many years and others have only just begun.
Our ministry offers many opportunities throughout the year to help strengthen our bond with other homeschool families and our children. Perhaps the greatest benefits from the group are the friendships, the times of encouragement and prayer between parents, and seeing the Lord use the simple idea of a support group to help us all persevere in this wonderful, yet challenging adventure called homeschooling. May this group remind us of all the joy along the way!
Support Group Membership- Requires an annual membership fee of $25 (non-refundable), which enables families to receive email announcements and to participate in our ministry activities, including monthly grade level field trips and activities, Moms’ Night Out, Mugs-n-Muffins, Pizza Days, Holiday Parties, Hands-on mission opportunities and more! You do not have to participate in our enrichment classes in order to be a part of our support group.
Enrichment Class Membership- Requires an annual membership fee of $100 (non-refundable) and allows families to enroll their children in our enrichment classes.
Enrichment Class Registration Policies
Enrichment classes are an exciting way to enhance your student’s education.
• Pre-School-5th grade classes run for 24 weeks (August to March) and the 6-12th grade classes run 32 weeks (August to May).
• Children in K-5th classes must be enrolled in appropriate classes for their traditional age/grade level. Consideration will be taken for middle school and high school students who are academically advanced and would like to enroll in a higher-level course. A struggling learner may be placed in a lower-level class. A child must reach his/her 5th birthday by August 31st to participate in a K-1 class.
• In classes where grades are assigned by your child’s teacher it is only a suggestion. As the parent, you have the right to decide to keep that grade or give another. These classes are supplemental to what is being taught in the home and are meant for enrichment purposes only.
• The instructors do not award credit toward high school graduation requirements or keep transcripts, although parents may use class time toward fulfilling requirements in each subject, according to the parent’s own discretion.
• Enrichment Classes are each subject to a minimum and maximum number of students.
• A class may be canceled due to low enrollment. If a class is canceled, you and your child will have the opportunity to choose another class or have your money refunded to you.
• Under special circumstances students may switch classes with permission from the teacher and director before the 2nd day of classes begins.
• Parents must notify the Biltmore Homeschool Leadership Team, not the teacher, prior to dropping a class. The Team will notify the teacher that your child has withdrawn from class.
• A non-refundable membership fee of $100 per will be invoiced to each family once they have completed the class registration process. This fee is for expenses required to operate the program (copies, postage, rent, office supplies, security officer, etc.).
• Half of the total class enrollment tuition is due the day of class sign-ups in the Spring.
• The Biltmore Homeschool Leadership Team makes every effort to keep the cost of enrichment classes to a minimum. Each year class offerings are constructed based on perceived interest and teachers are recruited based on these projections. Large numbers of last-minute classes being dropped results in a shortfall of funds for teacher compensation. Leadership is faced with two options: raise rates to cover dropped classes or move back the add/drop dates/payment deadlines. Rather than penalize the majority, leadership has opted to lock in class fees, payments, changes, and/or reimbursements for dropped classes as of July 15th. After this date, there are no refunds of any kind.
The Biltmore Church Homeschool Leadership team is a volunteer group of parents who seek to serve the homeschool community. The best way to communicate with our team is by emailing email@example.com. We typically try to respond to emails Monday-Friday from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, but please understand that we do not keep regular office hours as we, too, are homeschooling our children. If you have an urgent situation that requires immediate attention, please contact the church office at 828-687-1111 and ask for them to contact the director personally and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Our group email, firstname.lastname@example.org, keeps members up to date on enrichment class information, homeschool items of interest, and various upcoming homeschool events for both parents and students. We also have a private group on Facebook that you can join once you become a member! https://www.facebook.com/groups/414276702587638.
Visit http://www.biltmorehomeschool.com/ where you can download information about classes, our calendar schedule, and find general information about our group.
Hands-on mission opportunities are available. Some of the things we have participated in are: helping at Manna Food Bank, making boxes for Operation Christmas Child, visiting the elderly, and collecting items for the Soldier Care Ministry. We welcome our families to join us in serving the community through mission and volunteer opportunities.
Mom's Night Out
Moms have their special time too! A Mom’s Night Out is held one Monday a month. We meet at various local restaurants. This time together allows us to encourage and edify each other as fellow homeschool moms and teachers.
Mug ‘n Muffin
Mug ‘n Muffin meets on the third Thursday of the month. This allows moms to come by for a cup of coffee after dropping the kids safely in their classes. You can bring your own mug or use one of ours, have a cup of coffee and a muffin, and chat with other moms.
This is a great time for the kids. The last Thursday of the month we have pizza day after classes are over. It is a great opportunity for the students to enjoy each other outside of their classes. Pizza must be pre-ordered and includes your drink. We look forward to seeing you there. This is open to anyone in the group.
• A snack cart is available each Thursday morning with a variety of nut free foods for $.75 each. Please make sure that your child brings either a snack from home or the appropriate change for the snack cart. Free coffee is available for parents during drop-off.