Hello, and welcome to the LCHEA website! We are a non-profit, Christian support group established for homeschooling parents in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. We have been in existence for over 30 years and our purpose is to provide support, guidance, and encouragement to one another based on Christian principles. These principles are outlined in our Statement of Faith. Among the many things offered to LCHEA members are field trip opportunities for every age group, spelling bee, testing, prom, father/daughter dance, clubs, STEM Expo, yearbook, graduation and much, much more!
Please note, LCHEA is a homeschool support group only and it does not give you legal homeschooling status in the state of South Carolina. Please refer to the SC Homeschool Laws page to learn more of the three options available within our state.
Take some time to browse through our public page information to learn more about who we are and what is available for your family. If you feel that LCHEA may be a good fit for you, please consider joining us for the school year.
- Registration for the 2021-2022 school year is now open. You may join by clicking the "join" link in the upper right hand corner. Please know that your membership will not be active until membership fees are submitted.
- The current LCHEA membership year ends on May 31st, 2022.
Please note that LCHEA is a support group,
NOT an accountability group.
An accountability group is an organization you must join to be legally homeschooling in the state of South Carolina. There are many options, please see THIS PAGE for more details.
A support group is an optional organization you may join to add enrichment to your homeschool experience. They add opportunities for field trips, extracurricular classes, play dates, events, and more. There are many benefits to joining a support group, but a support group is optional. Please see THIS PAGE for the benefits of joining LCHEA.
South Carolina State Department of Education
At Home in the Lowcountry
Accountability Association Directory
Hometown Homeschool Association of SC
SCAIHS (Option 2)
LCHEA Science Fair
LCHEA will be hosting a student presenting Science Fair in March. Students must be part of a LCHEA member family to participate.
The science fair will have 4 age divisions:
- K5-2nd grade
- 3rd-5th grade
- 6th-8th grade
- 9th-12th grade
Students my complete a science fair project as one of five types:
- Experiment or Investigation: This is the most common type of science project, where you use the scientific method to propose and test a hypothesis.
- Demonstration: A demonstration usually involves re-testing an experiment that already has been done by someone else. You can get ideas for this type of project from books and on the internet.
- Research: In this science project, you collect information about a certain topic and present your findings.
- Model: This type of science project involves building a model to illustrate a concept or principle.
- Collection: This science project often displays a collection to illustrate your understanding of a concept or topic.
- Ribbons awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in each division.
- First place winners in each division will be awarded an additional prize (TBA).
- Overall People’s Choice will also receive a prize (TBA).
Registration for the Science Fair will be available to LCHEA members only.
- This will be a science fair, not a STEM festival.
- Students will work on their own experiments prior to the science fair.
- Each student MUST create a trifold backdrop for their experiment. This will highlight your process and results. Some examples and guidelines for creating your trifold backdrop can be found HERE.
- On the day of the science fair, students will bring their trifold backdrops and other display items to set up their display.
- Students will need to be stationed by their experiment display and be available to answer questions from both judges and families.
- Participating students will be able to walk around and view the other displays.
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in each division will be awarded ribbons.
- All displays will be available for viewing until close of event.