Primary Lunch and Snacks
Let's Eat! - Important notes on food at the Home School Academy Primary Building
* Each student will need to bring a lunch bag or lunch box.
* Students will not be able to use the refrigerator or microwave, so pack any cold items with a cold pack and do not send food that needs to be heated.
* We encourage you to send a water bottle with your student - especially for gym class; however, the students are not allowed to keep their water bottles on the table during class time as they can ruin the paperwork. They should try to get a drink (and use the bathroom) between classes.
* Students are encouraged to eat in designated areas, so we do not have food everywhere. They also must clean up their eating area when they are finished.
* Please talk to you kids about food allergies, and how some children must be kept away from certain food like dairy or eggs. We have a number of children with life-threatening food allergies including allergies to tree nuts and peanuts. Because tree nut and peanut reactions are often very severe, we have chosen to care for those children by being a NUT FREE ZONE. Please do not send ANY food items to HSA (lunches, snacks or birthday treats) that contain ANY peanut or tree nut products. Those foods will quite literally endanger the lives of the children who have those allergies.
If you are looking for a safe alternative to your children's beloved PB&J sandwiches, we suggest you try Sunbutter. It looks and tastes very similar to peanut butter but is made from sunflower seeds. Best of all, it can be found in Wegmans so it's easy to get. Thank you for helping to keep our children safe!
Some parents have asked about coconut. Coconut is technically a fruit although the FDA has classified it along with other tree nuts. HSA has decided that we will allow coconut both because it is botanically a fruit, and we are not aware of any of our families who have coconut allergies.
How much food? Lunch and Snacks
Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 1st grade will have snack and lunch so please send a snack for your child plus a lunch.
Also, please send TWO drinks for your Pre-K and K child each week. One for snack time and one for lunch.
After School CLUBS: All students in HSA Primary (Pre-K-6th grades) staying for after school clubs will need a snack and drink.
Therefore, if your PreK or Kindergarten child is staying for clubs after school, guess what? He/she will need to bring 2 snacks, 1 lunch and 3 drinks to school. Feel like you’re packing for a safari?
Grades 2 -6 will not be having snack-time during the regular school day so they will only need a lunch with beverage unless participating in after-school clubs. If they are struggling and need a snack, they are allowed to eat a quick, non-messy (non- nut) snack during their breaks between classes. If they are in a club, you may also send a quick snack & drink for after school.