Welcome to SCCHE Bands!
The SCCHE Band offers classes for beginners, intermediate, concert band and swing band for any student 10 years old or older. This traditional band setting teaches instruments such as flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, trombone, baritone, and percussion (bell kit). All ensembles perform at the end of fall and spring semesters.
Beginning Band is a first-year course that teaches basic music skills and individual instrument fundamentals. Students will learn the basics of their instrument, reading music and skills that they need to continue on to Intermediate Band. Although it can be helpful, Pre-Band is NOT a pre-requisite to Beginning Band.
Intermediate Band is generally second and third-year students who have mastered the skills necessary to reach the level where they can concentrate more on musical performance. This band works on scales, more advanced music and music theory, and basic improvisation skills.
Concert Band is the next level of musicianship. Generally, this group includes mostly third or fourth-year students all the way through seniors. Even though this band is more performance oriented and the music is more advanced, the students continue to master scales and work on the musical skills needed to be successful in a concert band setting.
Swing Band is open to more advanced students who are interested in learning about the truly American art form of jazz and jazz improvisation. Members of Swing Band are also required to participate in Concert Band, as well. Swing Band plays music from all genres of jazz and usually participates in additional performances throughout the year.
Pre-Band -This class introduces a student to the instrumental music reading and theory skills needed to help them succeed in Beginning Band. This is accomplished by the use of a soprano recorder. In addition to learning musical skills, student participation in this class helps to develop the hand-eye coordination necessary to play a musical instrument. During the course, they are introduced to the different musical instruments that they are offered to play in Beginning Band.
Director, Rob Duss, has taught instrumental music in Missouri public and private schools for 42 years – and counting. His education includes a Master of Music Ed. from VanderCook College of Music, Chicago, and Bachelor of Music from Culver-Stockton College, Canton, Missouri. In February of 2022, Rob was awarded the Metro St. Louis District 8 Of Missouri Educators Hall of Fame Award. He also teaches private lessons and serves as a clinician and adjudicator throughout the St. Louis area. You may contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who are interested in signing up for the program can register by clicking on the "Register" button above. All fees will be paid to the St. Charles Christian Home Educators Association. For more information contact Cheryl Bates at email@example.com.
All students must supply their own instrument and all the proper accessories such as: reeds, valve oil, slide oil, etc.
Each student must also bring their own folding music stand to class.
Beginning Band students must also purchase “Measures of Success” - book 1, published by FJH Publications for the instrument that they intend to learn. This book may be purchased at most local music stores.
Intermediate Band students must also purchase “Measures of Success” - book 2, published by FJH Publications for their instrument. This will be used for the 2nd semester and may be purchased at most local music stores.
Concert Band students will need to bring their "Measures of Sucess" - book 2 and "Foundations of Superior Performance" book.
Each student will need the Red Band Polo, these will be ordered in the fall
Pre-Band students will need to bring a standard soprano recorder
SCCHE Band Schedule 2023-24
- Beginning Band: Tuesday, 10:00 – 11:15 at Liberty Church, 709 Crestview Dr., O'Fallon, MO
- Intermediate Band: Tuesday, 11:30 – 12:45 at Liberty Church
- Concert Band: Thursday, 12:00 – 1:15 at Liberty Church
- Swing Band: Thursday, 1:30 – 2:45 at Liberty Church
- Pre-Band: Thursday, 11:00 – 11:55 at Liberty Church
- Wednesday, August 9 - Beginning Band Instrument Display from 12:00 - 4:00 (come anytime during the afternoon for instrument demo)- Liberty Church, 709 Crestview Dr. O'Fallon, MO 63366
- Tuesday, August 15, Wednesday, August 16 & Thursday, August 17 - Band Camp (See Band Camp form for schedule)
- Tuesday, August 22 - Start 1st Semester Rehearsals
- Monday, December 11 - All Bands, Christmas Concert, 6:30pm @ Location TBD
- Thursday, December 14 (Tentative) - Concert & Swing Band only, "Concert" 1:00 at Twin Oaks Nursing Home (if possible)
- Tuesday, January 9 – Start 2nd Semester Rehearsals
- "Spring Break" Tuesday and Thursday, March 12th & 14th - No Bands will meet
- Spartan Music Festival, Missouri Baptist University - Concert Band and Ambassadors of Swing Only (Date to be announced)
- Ambassadors of Swing, First Baptist Church, O'Fallon (Date to be announced)
- Monday, May 6 - All bands, Spring Concert, 6:30pm - Location TBD
- Thursday, May 9 – (Tentative) Concert & Swing Band only, "Concert" 1:00 at Twin Oaks Nursing Home (if possible)
- Tuesday, May 21 - Graduation Rehearsal (Concert Band)
- Saturday, May 25 - Graduation Ceremony (Concert Band)