Welcome to SCCHE Bands
WELCOME TO SCCHE BANDS
The SCCHE band offers classes for beginners, intermediate, concert band and swing band for any student 10 years old or older. This traditional band setting teaches instruments such as flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, trombone, baritone, and percussion (bell kit). All ensembles perform at the end of fall and spring semesters.
We also offer a Pre-Band class that meets from January to May. This clas will introduce a student to the instrumental music reading and theory skills needed to help a student succeed in Beginning Band. This will be accomplished by the use of a soprano recorder. In addition to learning these musical skills, the student will practice the hand-eye coordination necessary to play a musical instrument. During the course, they will be able to try the different musical instruments they are allowed to play in band.
Director, Rob Duss, has taught instrumental music in Missouri public and private schools for 35 years – and counting. His education includes a Master of Music Ed. from VanderCook College of Music, Chicago, and Bachelor of Music from Culver-Stockton College, Canton, Missouri. He also teaches private lessons and serves as a clinician and adjudicator throughout the St. Louis area. You may contact him at [email protected].
Students who are interested in signing up for the program should register, on the SCCHE website. All fees will be paid to the St. Charles Christian Home Educators Association. For more information contact Cheryl Bates at [email protected].
All students must supply their own instrument and all the proper accessories such as; reeds, valve oil, slide oil, etc. Each student must also bring their own folding music stand to class.
Beginning Band students must also purchase “Measures of Success” - book 1, published by FJH Publications for the instrument that they intend to learn. This book may be purchased at most local music stores.
Intermediate Band students must also purchase “Measures of Success” - book 2, published by FJH Publications for their instrument. This will be used for the 2nd semester and may be purchased at most local music stores.
Concert Band students will need to bring their "Measures of Sucess" - book 2 and "Foundations of Superior Performance" book.
Pre-Band students will need to bring a standard soprano recorder (all other supplies will be supplied by the teacher)
SCCHE Band Schedule 2021-22
- Beginning Band; Tuesday, 11:30 – 12:45 at Liberty Church, 709 Crestview Dr., O'Fallon, MO
- Intermediate Band; Tuesday, 10:00 – 11:15 at Liberty Church
- Concert Band; Thursday, 12:30 – 1:45 at Liberty Church
- Swing Band; Thursday, 2:00 – 3:15 at Liberty Church
- Pre-Band; (Second Semester Only) Tuesday, 1:00 – 2:00 at Liberty Church
- Wednesday, August 11 - Beginning Band Instrument Display from 12:00 - 4:00 (come anytime during the afternoon for instrument demo)- Liberty Church, 709 Crestview Dr. O'Fallon, MO 63366
- Tuesday, August 17, Wednesday, August 18 & Thursday, August 19 - Band Camp (See Band Camp form for schedule)
- Tuesday, August 24 - Start 1st Semester Rehearsals
- Monday, December 13 - All Bands, Christmas Concert, 6:30pm @ Liberty Church
- Thursday, December 16 - Concert & Swing Band only, "Concert" 1:00 at Twin Oaks Nursing Home (if possible)
- Tuesday, January 11 – Start 2nd Semester Rehearsals
- "Spring Break" Tuesday and Thursday, March 15 & 17 - No Bands will meet
- Spartan Music Festival, Missouri Baptist University - Concert Band and Ambassadors of Swing Only (Date to be announced)
- Ambassadors of Swing, First Baptist Church, O'Fallon (Date to be announced)
- Monday, May 9 - All bands, Spring Concert, 6:30pm - Liberty Church
- Thursday, May 12 - Concert & Swing Band only, "Concert" 1:00 at Twin Oaks Nursing Home (if possible)