A wonderful homeschool group thrives at Biltmore Church. Approximately 200 families are members of our home school ministry. Some families have many children and others have only one child; some have been home schooling for many years and others have only just started.
Our ministry offers many opportunities throughout the year to help strengthen our bond with other homeschool families and our children. There is a small annual membership fee which enables families to receive email announcements and to participate in all of our activities, including field trips at least monthly (and often a couple are offered each month :)), monthly Moms’ Night Out, Mugs-n-Muffins, and pizza days, etc.
Hands-on mission opportunities are available as well. Some of the ministries have included helping at Manna Food Bank, checking boxes for Operation Christmas Child at the Boone distribution center, feeding the homeless at ABCCM and ministering to senior citizens at Deerfield Retirement Center.
We also offer Enrichment Classes for Kindergarten through 12th grade on Tuesday mornings for a portion of the school year for an additional fee. You do not have to participate in classes in order to be a part of our support group.
Perhaps the greatest benefits from the group are the friendships, the times of encouragement and prayer between Moms, and seeing the Lord use the simple idea of a support group to help us all persevere in this wonderful, yet challenging adventure called homeschooling. May this group remind us of all the joy along the way!
Our ministry offers many opportunities throughout the year to enrich your homeschool experience and to help strengthen the bond with other homeschool families. The Biltmore Church Homeschool Leadership team is a volunteer group of parents who seek to serve the homeschool community. If you contact us, we will try to respond in a timely manner, but please understand that we do not keep office hours.
Our group email, firstname.lastname@example.org , keeps members up to date on enrichment class information, Mom’s Night Out, Women’s Ministry, homeschool items of interest, and various upcoming BBC events. We also have a group on Facebook that you can join.
Visit www.biltmorehomeschool.com where you can download information about classes, calendar, and find general information about our group. Field Trips We offer monthly, age-appropriate
Field trips have included: behind-the-scenes tours, dairy farms, nature preserves, and hikes. Field trips serve to broaden the students' academic experience.
Hands-on mission opportunities are available. Some of the things we have participated in are: helping at Manna Food Bank, making boxes for Operation Christmas Child, visiting the elderly, and collecting items for the Soldier Care Ministry.
The homeschool ministry offers an assortment of Enrichment Classes on Tuesday mornings during the school year. For the younger grades (K-5), four class periods are offered, each lasting one hour. Younger grade classes have included: Creative Writing, Science, Art, Health, Grammar and much more. For the older grades (6-12) there are three class periods, each lasting 1 ½ hours. Older grade classes have included: Math, Biology, Spanish, Government, Art and History. Classes vary year to year based on interest and teacher availability. See our website for our up-to-date list of classes.
Mom's Night Out
Moms have their special time too! A Mom’s Night Out is held one Thursday a month. We meet at various local restaurants. This time together allows us to encourage and edify each other as fellow homeschool moms and teachers.
Mug ‘n Muffin
Mug ‘n Muffin meets on the third Tuesday of the month. This allows moms to come by for a cup of coffee after dropping the kids safely in their classes. You can bring your own mug or use one of ours, have a cup of coffee and a muffin, and chat with other moms.
This is a great time for the kids. The last Tuesday of the month we have pizza day after classes are over. It is a great opportunity for the students to enjoy each other outside of their classes. Pizza must be pre-ordered and includes your drink. We look forward to seeing you there. This is open to anyone in the group.
Enrichment Class Registration Policies
Enrichment classes are an exciting way to enhance your student’s education. We are not a school, and therefore we strive to supplement your child’s education, not to provide a complete curriculum for any subject.
* K-5 Classes run for 24 weeks and the 6-12 grade classes run 32 weeks.
* Children in K-5th classes must be enrolled in appropriate classes for their traditional age/grade level. Consideration will be taken for middle school and high school students who are academically advanced and would like to enroll in a higher level course. A struggling learner may be placed in a lower level class. A child must reach his/her 5th birthday by August 31 to participate in a K-1 class.
* In classes where grades are assigned by your child’s teacher it is only a suggestion. As the parent, you have the right to decide to keep that grade or give another. These classes are supplemental to what is being taught in the home and are meant for enrichment purposes only. The classes will not complete any curriculum, only enhance them.
* The instructors do not teach the entire subject matter, but are only enriching and assisting your instruction at home. BBC Homeschool does not award credit toward high school graduation requirements or keep transcripts, although parents may use class time toward fulfilling some requirements in a given subject, according to the parent’s own discretion.
* Enrichment Classes are each subject to a minimum and maximum number of students.
* A class may be canceled due to low enrollment. If a class is canceled, you and your child will have the opportunity to choose another class or have your money refunded to you.
* Under special circumstances students may switch classes with permission from the teacher and director before the 2nd day of classes begins (see fees below).
* Parents must notify the Biltmore Homeschool Team, not the teacher, prior to dropping a class. The Team will notify the teacher that your child has withdrawn from class.
* A non-refundable registration fee is due at time of Enrichment Class registration. This fee is for expenses required to operate the program (copies, postage, office supplies, etc.).
* Half of the total enrollment tuition is due the day of class sign-ups in the Spring.
* The Biltmore Homeschool volunteer leadership team makes every effort to keep the cost of enrichment classes to a minimum. Each year class offerings are constructed based on perceived interest and teachers are recruited based on these projections. Large numbers of last minute classes being dropped results in a shortfall of funds for teacher compensation. Leadership is faced with two options: raise rates to cover dropped classes or move back the add/drop dates/payment deadlines. Rather than penalize the majority, leadership has opted to keep lower rates and move back the payment date. Classes will be closed as of July 15th with that as the last day for payment, changes, and/or reimbursements for dropped classes.
* In special cases we will allow you to switch classes after the drop deadline of July 15; however there will be a $50 charge plus any material fees for the new class. This does not include Karate.
A snack cart is available each Tuesday morning with a variety of foods and drinks for 50¢ each. Coffee is available for moms and dads. Please make sure that your child brings either a snack from home or the appropriate change for the snack cart.