Fragrance/Scent Safe Policy
Planet Homeschool is a ‘FRAGRANCE/SCENT-SAFE’ environment since 2012. This requirement applies to all instructors, students, parents, visitors, and volunteers who work or visit the co-op.
- Fragrances and scents are found in a wide range of products including perfume, aftershave, deodorant, soap, air fresheners, fabric softeners, laundry detergents, facial tissues, and candles. Exposure to fragrances and other scented products may trigger adverse health reactions (e.g., asthma attack, anaphylactic reaction and shortness of breath) in individuals with asthma, allergies, migraines, or chemical sensitivities. Other less serious but equally debilitating symptoms include headache, sore throat, runny nose, sinus congestion, wheezing, dizziness, anxiety, anger, nausea, fatigue, mental confusion and an inability to concentrate.
Moving towards a fragrance/scent-safe environment:
- In order to protect those individuals with sensitivities and allergies to fragrances and scents, and to possibly prevent others from developing such sensitivities, we are asking for your cooperation towards a ‘fragrance/scent-safe’ environment at PHS. Employees, students, and visitors are being requested to avoid the use of these products while at Faith United Methodist Church.
- While it is recognized that it is a personal choice to use fragrances or scented products, the chemicals from these products are, by their very nature, shared as they vaporize into the air and are easily inhaled by others. Today’s fragrances and scented products are made up of a complex mixture of chemicals, which can contribute to indoor air quality problems and cause health problems.
What can you do to help?
- Be considerate of those who are sensitive to fragrances or scents. Please avoid using scented products on the day you are at PHS. If fragrances or scented products must be used, do so sparingly. A general guideline for fragrances and scented body products is that they should not be detectable more than an arm’s length away from you.
Discuss this issue with your children.
- Please understand that this issue is not about you as a person, or about your choice of fragrance or scent, but it is about the adverse reaction the use of the product may cause in others. The success of our fragrance/scent-free initiative will depend upon the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of everyone within our community.
Thank you for your cooperation!