Tuition and Fees
What does PHS cost?
Our co-op’s annual membership fee is used to pay rent, insurance, website fees, and other overhead costs.
- $90 per family per year, payable as:
- $45 for Fall Semester
- $45 for Spring Semester
Students may register for 1 to 4 classes per semester.
Tuition: Varies by course and instructor, from $10 to $20 per 75-minute class meeting:
- $120–$240 for the 12-week Fall Semester
- $160–$320 for the 16-week Spring Semester
Supplies and other fees: Varies by course and instructor. Many classes do not have any additional fees, those that do typically charge from $10 to $50 per semester. Supplies fees are invoiced with tuition and paid as a lump sum.
Some courses may have required textbooks or other required supplies that students must purchase independently.
How to Pay Your Membership Fee
Our busy volunteers prefer that you pay your membership fee through PayPal. You can do this in one of three ways:
- If you are logged into your Planet Homeschool website account, you can go to your family’s Accounting page and click the Pay button next to your Membership Invoice.
- You can also use the Pay with PayPal button in your email invoice.
- New members will also see a Pay with PayPal checkout button near the bottom of the confirmation page when they complete their new Family Profile.
If your membership has lapsed, you’ll need to contact us to request that we create a membership fee invoice first.
If you need to pay your membership fee by check, please make your check payable to "Planet Homeschool" and mail it to our co-op’s Finance Director:
5105 14th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55417-1801
Paying Your Tuition and Materials Fees
Payments for tuition and class materials are made to the instructor via Planet Homeschool.
instructors at Planet Homeschool are independent contractors hired and paid directly by parents to teach their children.
Because PayPal refunds now cost your instructor to issue, we ask that you not pay your tuition until after a class has been confirmed.* This is a new policy, so Lead Volunteers will be experimenting with ways to best communicate when payments are due.
- Invoices will now have due dates that correspond to a class’s “Minimum Student Date” (the date on which a class will be cancelled if the minimum number of students have not enrolled).
- Lead Volunteers will disable the “PayPal” button for instructors whose classes have not yet been confirmed (this a per-instructor setting, not a per-class setting)
Late registrations should be paid within 3 days of registration — or before the next class meeting, whichever comes first.
Unpaid registrations for classes will be canceled but Lead Volunteers will reach out to you via email at least twice before taking such an action.
With a few exceptions, tuition and supplies must be paid via this website, which uses PayPal.
You must make separate payments to each instructor.
- Log into your website account.
- Click on Balance in the top menu bar to go to your family’s Statement of Account.
- Check the Pay box next to the class you wish to make a payment for.
- Click on the PAYPAL button.
- Complete your payment on the PayPal website.
- If you are not automatically redirected back to your Statement of Account when your payment is complete, click the Return to Merchant button to do so.
- Repeat for all other outstanding balances.
A small number of instructors, who have been around since before our co-op had an online payment system, only accept payment via checks.
- Make your check payable to the instructor as stated on your invoice or in your Statement of Account:
This will be either the instructor’s name or the name of the instructor’s business.
- Write separate checks for the full tuition amount for each individual class.
- Write the class name on the memo line of the check.
- You must mail your check to Planet Homeschool’s Finance Director:
5105 14th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55417-1801
- Do not mail your check to the instructor or your account will not be credited as paid.
- Do not hand your check to the instructor or your account will not be credited as paid.
- Our co-op’s Finance Director must manually credit your check payment to your account.
- Checks are distributed to instructors on the first day of the semester. Please send your checks immediately — it will not change when your check is deposited, and it makes our volunteer Finance Director’s job easier.
Please also read our refund policy.
*PayPal Refunds: PayPal states that they still do not charge a refund fee, instead they now just keep the fee they previously deducted from the payment. However, the end result of this change in policy is that instructors lose money when they must return tuition and supplies fees for cancelled class registrations.