Child Protection Policy
Guidelines for ECCHO Members Who Work With Children and Youth
The following guidelines are provided to create an awareness of vulnerability to civil and criminal liability as well as to instill the need to protect children.
- Meet in public places when meeting with minors.
- Always have another adult present when counseling minors.
- Advise other staff members of activities away from the group regarding where, when, and with whom you meet.
- Always have two adults taking younger children to the bathroom.
- Keep physical contact public and minimal. Simple “hello” hugs are permissible, for example.
- Always have a minimum of two unrelated adults on field trips, in class rooms, especially overnight trips.
- Keep groups together, perhaps using a buddy system.
- Be willing to be cheerfully accountable to parents and ECCHO leaders.
- Meet one-to-one with minors behind closed doors.
- Have secret meetings with minors.
- Meet alone with minors, especially of the opposite sex.
- Check a minor for injuries under clothing without another adult present except in serious emergencies.
- Exchange kisses with children or youth.
- Allow older children to take younger children to the bathroom alone.
- Transport a child or youth by yourself except for real emergencies.